News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

From what I've seen of ncis and its derivatives, there's not much difference from law & order.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2018, 04:17:50 PM
After the raves on here I started watching The Haunting of Hill House. It's indeed a pretty damn solid slow-burn horror show so far (I'm on episode 4). Also features lesbian sex, which will be of Brain's interest.

Slow burn in the place that it is barely scary? Nearly done with ep 2 and like, I think I'm watching a family drama more than horror show?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Rewatched The Verdict, Paul Newman's swan song.  I'd forgotten how great he was in it.  All around very high quality film.  Some really beautifully composed tableaux.

Eddie Teach

You didn't like Road to Perdition, The Color of Money or Twilight(1998)?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The Verdict is better than those, imho.

Admiral Yi

Liked Color of Money (except Tom's godawful hair do), Perdition was so so, didn't see Twilight.

But he shows more range and more subtility in Verdict IMO.  Vulnerable and weak, like Brando in Last Tango in Paris. Dialogue is better too.

I was also thinking while watching that it has the most attractive old people fucking (or almost fucking) scene I can remember in a movie.

celedhring

Charlotte Rampling was in no way "old" at the time.  She was in her mid-30s and smoking hot.

Nobody's Fool is the best late Paul Newman film, imho. Certainly some of his best work. Twilight is pretty bad.

celedhring

Netflix has cancelled Luke Cage. Surprising. Wasn't enthralled by the second season but by all accounts it worked well for them. Trades are pointing to Netflix-Disney shenanigans.

garbon

At least good they cancelled Iron Fist first.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I decided to check out the new TV show "The Purge", based on the movies of same name. I've seen the ads for the show but didn't think I'd want to watch, but did binge watch the first half dozen episodes. It's about what I expected, lots of gross killing but there is also more a story line behind the characters.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2018, 04:41:14 AM
Netflix has cancelled Luke Cage. Surprising. Wasn't enthralled by the second season but by all accounts it worked well for them. Trades are pointing to Netflix-Disney shenanigans.

Yes. I suspect Disney said they could have it.. However only for a huge price.

I guess the only hope is a Luke Cage and Iron Fist combo series. Doubt it though.

I can't bring myself to watch Iron Fist s2. So :yawn:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

'54 Hours: The Gladbeck Hostage Crisis '  compelling German docu-drama.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
FBI

White actress from Montreal, member of the priviledged class, oppressor of minorities, plays an FBI agent, the US terror force seeking out Arabs&Haïtians to unjustly lock them up for exercising their cultural rights.

In the first episode, they unjustly arrest Haitian gang members and force them to reveal their links to other nefarious elements that end up being part of a neo-nazi master plan to drive out non whites from America.

In the second episode, they seek a man of mediteranean origins acting as enforcer for a prostitution network after finding a survivor and 17 tombs of white, eastern europan girls who didn't escape their just fate of not representing the appropriate diversity of their respective countries.

No links between the two episodes.  No arch-season plot, no conspiracy theories involving highly placed FBI/CIA/other government agents.  No über patriotism, no flag waving, no Navy/Marines worship.

From what I've seen of Law&Order and its derivatives, it seems like it's a very similar show.  Each episode is self contained, highly predictable, and contains forgettable characters.

Won't be watching more, not my cup of tea.  Some of you might like it, if you're not too far gone on the left or too far gone on the right. ;)

Mayans M.C.
Now, why didn't I watch Sons of Anarchy?  Ahh.  Anyway.  Second Kurt Sutter show I watch (the Bastard Executioner was my first).  I long hesitated to get into it, my time is limited, and there's like, 3 NCIS shows + Hawaii 5-0 + that latino PI guy with a Ferrari on tv, there's only so much time ;) so...  :P

Anyway, enough with the crappy yet it's so fun shows :)

Mayans M.C. is serious stuff, as those of you who watched and liked SoA probably know.

From what I gather, the Mayans were part of SoA as the villains turned ally of that motorcycle club.  We see the SoA in the first episode lending a hand to the Mayans.  Some of the characters of the Mayans were first introduced in SoA, so the action starts pretty quickly.

The show is centered on E.Z. (Ezechiel, but no tiger for this one), a Mayan prospect, also a police informer, due to some mishap 8 years ago.  He quickly meets his ex girlfriend, now married to an influential Cartel leader (some women are attracted to bad guys, weird ;) ) and some complications ensues.  E.Z. also has a brother, Angel, the one who "recruited" him into the motorcycle club.

Daily adventures in the life of the motorcycle clubs, their dealings with the Cartel, with troublemakers, with police, with their families, etc, etc.

It's as good as the Bastard Executioner, so must be as good as SoA.  Great storytelling.  They want to go somewhere, but I can't guess exactly where right now, it's not that predictable.

I think if you were a fan of SoA, you'll like that show (so, Kronn, go ahead if you haven't already! :) )

I'll buy SoA this winter.

SoA is pretty awesome, a little too much plot armor but that's just par for the course for Sutter. Very tragic (it's basically Hamlet). Season 2 makes me cry. Be ready it's like GoT, no one is safe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

The Hate U Give.

My daughter, who I suspect might be a budding left wing activist, asked me to take her.

It was actually really, really good. A bit naive to some extent, but I thought it presented a pretty fair and balanced view towards the issues behind BLM, and more than just "Hey, don't shoot black people coppers!".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2018, 08:07:44 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
Mayans M.C.
Now, why didn't I watch Sons of Anarchy?  Ahh.  Anyway.  Second Kurt Sutter show I watch (the Bastard Executioner was my first).  I long hesitated to get into it, my time is limited, and there's like, 3 NCIS shows + Hawaii 5-0 + that latino PI guy with a Ferrari on tv, there's only so much time ;) so...  :P

Anyway, enough with the crappy yet it's so fun shows :)

Mayans M.C. is serious stuff, as those of you who watched and liked SoA probably know.

From what I gather, the Mayans were part of SoA as the villains turned ally of that motorcycle club.  We see the SoA in the first episode lending a hand to the Mayans.  Some of the characters of the Mayans were first introduced in SoA, so the action starts pretty quickly.

The show is centered on E.Z. (Ezechiel, but no tiger for this one), a Mayan prospect, also a police informer, due to some mishap 8 years ago.  He quickly meets his ex girlfriend, now married to an influential Cartel leader (some women are attracted to bad guys, weird ;) ) and some complications ensues.  E.Z. also has a brother, Angel, the one who "recruited" him into the motorcycle club.

Daily adventures in the life of the motorcycle clubs, their dealings with the Cartel, with troublemakers, with police, with their families, etc, etc.

It's as good as the Bastard Executioner, so must be as good as SoA.  Great storytelling.  They want to go somewhere, but I can't guess exactly where right now, it's not that predictable.

I think if you were a fan of SoA, you'll like that show (so, Kronn, go ahead if you haven't already! :) )

I'll buy SoA this winter.

SoA is pretty awesome, a little too much plot armor but that's just par for the course for Sutter. Very tragic (it's basically Hamlet). Season 2 makes me cry. Be ready it's like GoT, no one is safe.

SoA was occasionally great, yeah, but had too much of a tendency to meander and go on pointless side stories, like almost the whole 3rd season, and from that point on is a bit hit or miss. First couple of seasons are awesome, yeah, and the cameos (David Hasselhof! Stephen King! Marilyn Manson!) and some of the secondary characters (Venus Van Dam!) are great. Plenty of known faces in the show.