News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: KRonn on October 14, 2018, 07:58:35 PM
I didn't remember Lalo from BB but thanks for the info on him.

That character was never actually in BB.  I presume the wiki he linked is making some assumptions.

Syt

The name was mentioned, as was Nacho's IIRC. Which means that Saul at that point (when Walt and Jesse abducted him with a bag over his head) thought that they were alive (whether they actually were is is a different question entirely, of course).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I really want to like the new season of Dr. Who.  But the new writer is not doing the new Doctor any favours.

Very little reaction to being female when other Doctors have reacted emphatically to their new features (age, hair, nose, teeth etc) - a complete miss.

Someone related to the new posse dies in the first episode - it is entirely the person's fault and they died needlessly.  Whenever someone dies in Doctor Who it is because of a difficult moral dilemma the Doctor faces and the Doctor always makes a point of saying "I am so sorry".  None of that happened - again a complete miss.

They are trying to introduce a new baddie race.  So far a complete miss - how is it the Doctor has never heard of them before?  Makes no sense.

The new Doctor herself is likeable enough but I hope she gets better scripts.

Admiral Yi

Jumanji.  Thought Kevin Hart would funny it up, but the jokes are all pitched very young.  Production values very good, the kung fu chick is pretty hott.  Not worth a watch.

Liep

The Haunting of Hill House (@ episode 2½), goddamn scary. Not in that gotcha scary, but slow creeping scary. Worst kind.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2018, 03:21:27 PM
Jumanji.  Thought Kevin Hart would funny it up, but the jokes are all pitched very young.  Production values very good, the kung fu chick is pretty hott.  Not worth a watch.

You have a point but still I thought it was pretty good.

KRonn

The Gifted - Second season started a couple weeks ago. I like it, I think they do a good job with the story and characters. Show centers around mutant humans who mostly look normal but have various powers and abilities. Government is after them but also there's some sympathy for them by other groups to being left alone.

Riverdale - The show is a take on the Archie comics cartoons. I think in the third season. Decently interesting characters mainly centering around high school kids and their families with some nefarious goings on by all. When it first came out I decided to see what it was about, expecting more of a lighter story. But from the first season the show was more of a darker story including crime, gangs and powerful families.

11B4V

Quote from: KRonn on October 17, 2018, 08:04:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2018, 03:21:27 PM

You have a point but still I thought it was pretty good.

It was funny.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Just saw the new Jumanji too. Lame. The 3 lives thing ruined any drama. And the comedy was largely done  in the synopsis.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It was fucking awesome, wtf did you watch!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

FBI

White actress from Montreal, member of the priviledged class, oppressor of minorities, plays an FBI agent, the US terror force seeking out Arabs&Haïtians to unjustly lock them up for exercising their cultural rights.

In the first episode, they unjustly arrest Haitian gang members and force them to reveal their links to other nefarious elements that end up being part of a neo-nazi master plan to drive out non whites from America.

In the second episode, they seek a man of mediteranean origins acting as enforcer for a prostitution network after finding a survivor and 17 tombs of white, eastern europan girls who didn't escape their just fate of not representing the appropriate diversity of their respective countries.

No links between the two episodes.  No arch-season plot, no conspiracy theories involving highly placed FBI/CIA/other government agents.  No über patriotism, no flag waving, no Navy/Marines worship.

From what I've seen of Law&Order and its derivatives, it seems like it's a very similar show.  Each episode is self contained, highly predictable, and contains forgettable characters.

Won't be watching more, not my cup of tea.  Some of you might like it, if you're not too far gone on the left or too far gone on the right. ;)

Mayans M.C.
Now, why didn't I watch Sons of Anarchy?  Ahh.  Anyway.  Second Kurt Sutter show I watch (the Bastard Executioner was my first).  I long hesitated to get into it, my time is limited, and there's like, 3 NCIS shows + Hawaii 5-0 + that latino PI guy with a Ferrari on tv, there's only so much time ;) so...  :P

Anyway, enough with the crappy yet it's so fun shows :)

Mayans M.C. is serious stuff, as those of you who watched and liked SoA probably know.

From what I gather, the Mayans were part of SoA as the villains turned ally of that motorcycle club.  We see the SoA in the first episode lending a hand to the Mayans.  Some of the characters of the Mayans were first introduced in SoA, so the action starts pretty quickly.

The show is centered on E.Z. (Ezechiel, but no tiger for this one), a Mayan prospect, also a police informer, due to some mishap 8 years ago.  He quickly meets his ex girlfriend, now married to an influential Cartel leader (some women are attracted to bad guys, weird ;) ) and some complications ensues.  E.Z. also has a brother, Angel, the one who "recruited" him into the motorcycle club.

Daily adventures in the life of the motorcycle clubs, their dealings with the Cartel, with troublemakers, with police, with their families, etc, etc.

It's as good as the Bastard Executioner, so must be as good as SoA.  Great storytelling.  They want to go somewhere, but I can't guess exactly where right now, it's not that predictable.

I think if you were a fan of SoA, you'll like that show (so, Kronn, go ahead if you haven't already! :) )

I'll buy SoA this winter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
I'll buy SoA this winter.

My wife was watching SoA maybe 6 months ago, so it must be on a streaming service.  Probably Crave TV.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I posted this in my own cartoon thread, but it should probably go here - I'm totally hyped to see this show in development, Hazbin Hotel.

It's not actually being produced by a network, but rather, by an individual artist and her friends, funded through Patron donations and the like.

The animation looks totally awesome to me - It's like an adult *Star vs. the Forces of Evil*, set in a day-glo version of Hell. The princess of Hell seeks to free the demons through redemption ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrM-eDxTas

It's incredible that non-studio based animators can create that level of animation.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

After the raves on here I started watching The Haunting of Hill House. It's indeed a pretty damn solid slow-burn horror show so far (I'm on episode 4). Also features lesbian sex, which will be of Brain's interest.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2018, 04:17:50 PM
After the raves on here I started watching The Haunting of Hill House. It's indeed a pretty damn solid slow-burn horror show so far (I'm on episode 4). Also features lesbian sex, which will be of Brain's interest.

Thanks for the spoiler. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.