News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2018, 02:02:07 PM
Death of Stalin - laugh out loud funny - which is a bit unfortunate because I was watching it on a plane.  Palin's performance was perfect and a well practiced role from his Python days.

Fabulous movie. I need to watch it again. Beria got what he deserved.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Finally got around to watching the restored* version of Ken Russell's 'The Devils' - a masterpiece, certainly a stand-out performance from Oliver Reed.

* the dvd extras are well worth watching as they included much of and about the censored scenes, that have not beenable to be put back into the remastered UK version.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

So, while most of you don`t care about children`s programming....

My kids started watching Hilda on Netflix.  They were immediately entranced with it - like they have been very rarely before.  I quite enjoyed it too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Something Thread.  Daniel Day Lewis made a rare bad choice on a post-retirement script.  He's a high society designer in 1910s (?) England, she's a great complexioned Kraut/Scandi chick who exposes his closet homosesuality  Hard to care.

Eddie Teach

:huh:

Their relationship was all kinds of weird, but I don't know where you get the gay bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2018, 02:23:14 AM
Something Thread.  Daniel Day Lewis made a rare bad choice on a post-retirement script.  He's a high society designer in 1910s (?) England, she's a great complexioned Kraut/Scandi chick who exposes his closet homosesuality  Hard to care.

I think you missed the thread of this movie.

celedhring

Since Daredevil is coming back to Netflix this month, I've been putting myself through the effort of finishing Luke Cage season 2 (which is kinda meh compared to the first). And I see there's even a season 2 of Iron Fist... now that's going to take major willpower to go through.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 05, 2018, 12:42:06 AM

My kids started watching Hilda on Netflix.  They were immediately entranced with it - like they have been very rarely before.  I quite enjoyed it too.

That's the Horse, right? My children are still too freaked out by the trailer to watch it.  :lol:

My son likes to watch Power Rangers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

QuoteTHE MANDALORIAN FIRST IMAGE, DIRECTORS REVEALED

DETAILS EMERGE FOR LUCASFILM'S LIVE-ACTION SERIES HELMED BY JON FAVREAU.

Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

I've been wanting to see that. It's supposed tp be very good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2018, 06:59:15 AM
Since Daredevil is coming back to Netflix this month, I've been putting myself through the effort of finishing Luke Cage season 2 (which is kinda meh compared to the first). And I see there's even a season 2 of Iron Fist... now that's going to take major willpower to go through.

First episode of Daredevil season 1 really pissed me off and was probably the final straw for me in terms of superhero movies/series.

That episode was a decently written detective story. Except it was with a superhero. And it was all acclaimed at the time. If they wrote a general investigation story without superheroes, nobody would had cared. But because there was a blind guy kungfuing everyone, it was suddenly awesome. Sad!

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2018, 06:59:15 AM

I realised that I gave up on Luke Cage Season 2 and have no desire to touch Iron First.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

You didn't tell us if there' s lesbian sex or not :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2018, 07:36:02 AM
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

QuoteTHE MANDALORIAN FIRST IMAGE, DIRECTORS REVEALED

DETAILS EMERGE FOR LUCASFILM'S LIVE-ACTION SERIES HELMED BY JON FAVREAU.

Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

YES PLEASE
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2018, 07:14:00 AM

That's the Horse, right? My children are still too freaked out by the trailer to watch it.  :lol:

My son likes to watch Power Rangers.

:huh:

I don't think so.

It's about a girl who goes on adventures in a part-modern, part-magical world.

Malthus - do check it out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.