And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2018, 02:15:59 PM
Three Billboards Outside..

Did this movie win a bunch of awards?  I'd say it's interesting but has a few problems.  Like pacing, especially in the second half.  There's no dramatic resolution.  It just trails off like a yurofilm.  At times it's hard to tell if you're watching a farce or a gritty drama.

It's difficult to tell if anything in Missouri is a gritty drama or a farce.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I hear ya.

Wanna hear my Missouri joke?

Eddie Teach

Wouldn't you have to show us?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Ready Player One.

Meh. I thought The Shining bit was pretty cool.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

How can you tell a toothbrush was made in Missouri?

Eddie Teach

Because if it was made somewhere else it would be a teethbrush.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Punchline I've heard is it only has one bristle.

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 21, 2018, 08:21:26 PM
But the frog DNA was perfectly believable?  :P

Hehe, but that's the best part!  ;)   

Syt

Better Call Saul.

Good episode. The R&R for the construction crew went about as I expected. Kim is still trying to find direction and may just have made the wrong choice. Btw, just how many people are in that Salamanca family? :D

Next episode is called "Wiedersehen" which would mean "reunion" but can also be short for "Auf Wiedersehen", i.e. "good bye."

EDIT: was I the only one who was reminded of Walt's crowdfunding site in BB when they created Huell's website?

EDIT2: They actually created the website IRL: http://www.freewill-baptistchurch.com/

EDIT3: (final random thought) - I liked how Kim, in her "fall to the dark side scene", instead of her usual all-blue clothes style is wearing a pink blouse. Marked shift in character.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

First I didn't know what to think of Kim's turn. Because of her marked absence from BB it's clear they won't stay together, so they drifting apart was very much expected. There's no real chemistry between the actors anyways.

But, not only its a nice twist to not do what's been signalled for two episodes, but also I guess it makes contextual sense. She did always like Jimmy's little schemes and she did hook up with him despite knowing full well how he is, so I guess she just succumbed to what she really wants instead of what's she is expected to do.

Josquius

The Dark Tower - so so kids film where stuff happens for little reason, evidently skips a lot from the adult oriented multi book series

Deadpool 2- pretty darn OK. Not awesome. But OK.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2018, 07:09:11 AM
First I didn't know what to think of Kim's turn. Because of her marked absence from BB it's clear they won't stay together, so they drifting apart was very much expected. There's no real chemistry between the actors anyways.

But, not only its a nice twist to not do what's been signalled for two episodes, but also I guess it makes contextual sense. She did always like Jimmy's little schemes and she did hook up with him despite knowing full well how he is, so I guess she just succumbed to what she really wants instead of what's she is expected to do.

Agreed on Kim. She has played along on Jimmy's scams before, one being early on, probably in Season one. They were at a bar and I think at different times pulled scams on several people. Given her involvement in the scam that Jimmy pulled I think she's nearly as "ethically challenged" as he is.

That scam that Saul did was hilarious, getting all those people on the bus to write cards, then to work the phones was so outrageously ingenious. I was laughing it up at it all! However, then I was thinking that their scam might not be so infallible. Yes, they did a great job up front, letters and phones, but I'm thinking that a bit more checking by the prosecutor's office, or some other slip up may occur to get Kim in big trouble. So I'm wondering if the reason Kim and Jimmy don't wind up together is that she gets caught in this scam but takes the fall on her own.

Josephus

The other possible scenario is that Jimmy forces her out somehow--he knows he's going over to the Dark Side, but doesn't want to take Kimmy with him. Remember Jimmy's not a bad person; he'll figure out she's got a great career in front of her and doesn't want her to end up like him. He'll either convince her of this; or, more likely, do something that forces her hand.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2018, 08:29:07 PM
The other possible scenario is that Jimmy forces her out somehow--he knows he's going over to the Dark Side, but doesn't want to take Kimmy with him. Remember Jimmy's not a bad person; he'll figure out she's got a great career in front of her and doesn't want her to end up like him. He'll either convince her of this; or, more likely, do something that forces her hand.

Yeah he seemed confused at best over her "conversion".

Great series with great acting.

My only worry is the tempo. Mike's actor looks decidedly elderly compared to BB days :P