News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Oh I thought you clicked on my beloved 1996 website.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2018, 02:32:05 PM

I clicked on it.  It does appear to be preserved in amber from 1996. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2018, 04:02:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2018, 02:32:05 PM

I clicked on it.  It does appear to be preserved in amber from 1996. :hug:

A true time capsule to the finest website making of the mid 90s.  :lol:

celedhring

Solo. Meh, not so bad I'll say. The lead really isn't strong, and the film suffers from often being a checklist of things we knew already happened (oh now he meets Chewie, oh now he meets Lando, oh now he gets the Falcon). But it has some fun scenes and as usual Harrelson steals the show.

Quite interesting that [spoiler]the good guy body count is much bigger in these spinoffs than in the mainline saga[/spoiler].

KRonn

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 20, 2018, 03:21:14 AM
Wind River.   :(  Well.  That was well worth watching but rough.  I hope that it opened a few peoples' eyes to the terrible and unaddressed problem of missing Native American/First Peoples females that exists.  I know Senator Jon Tester of Montana has been a big advocate of late.  Props to him for his efforts.

Yeah, good movie, I liked it. Well done, but bit of a rough ride.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2018, 03:28:28 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 19, 2018, 06:54:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2018, 01:01:33 PM
Good episode of Better Call Saul. Loved the opening montage.

Agreed.  :)  I'm waiting to see if or how long Saul and Kim continue their relationship. We know that Saul will become a shady, law breaking lawyer. So at some point Kim will Kim find out. Or will she stay with him, maybe getting a bit involved in at least some of his more benign schemes? Remember that time in a bar where she and he scammed a guy, I think scammed a few people. But she doesn't seem like the type who will go to the lengths that Jimmy/Saul will.

Yeah, they're drifting apart fast. She's the straight-laced by the book, do the right thing lawyer, and he's a crook by character. There will be a breaking point very soon.

With the construction crew I do understand they need some R&R, but I also think, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Gus was pretty dark, even for his character, knowing that he trapped his rival's mind in a broken body and keeping it that way.

It'll be interesting to see how the breaking point comes about. Kim seems somewhat blissfully unaware of Saul's inclinations, but then it's early yet.

That is a huge job that the construction crew is doing! Amazing seeing it come along. It'll be interesting to see who the first drug makers are.

Gus is great in this, nasty and diabolical as always of course.

Tonitrus

Can any of you fellow BCS watchers tell me; do the episodes come available on Netflix about as they air back in the US as well, or is that just a UK thing?  (cannot really tell...my normal Netflix account seems normal? :unsure:  I was just watching it on amc.com back in Alaska)

Syt

They come online here Tuesday mornings, not sure if that helps you. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I was just curious if Netflix-USA has to hold them until the season is over (presumably because AMC streams them, unlike over here).

Was asking (literally) for a friend.

Syt

On Twitter Studio Ghibli posted a short gif from Grave of the Fireflies. Damn, that brought back some feels. :weep: Grave of the Fireflies might be the best movie I don't want to see a second time. :cry:

Here's Roger Ebert talking about the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2018, 12:33:05 PM
On Twitter Studio Ghibli posted a short gif from Grave of the Fireflies. Damn, that brought back some feels. :weep: Grave of the Fireflies might be the best movie I don't want to see a second time. :cry:

Here's Roger Ebert talking about the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk

It's in the same category as the Russian movie Come and See in that respect ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Three Billboards Outside..

Did this movie win a bunch of awards?  I'd say it's interesting but has a few problems.  Like pacing, especially in the second half.  There's no dramatic resolution.  It just trails off like a yurofilm.  At times it's hard to tell if you're watching a farce or a gritty drama.

Barrister

I like to have the TV on if I'm doing something, like cooking or doing laundry.  So my go to show the last couple of months has been Brooklyn Nine Nine.

It's generally pretty funny.  The lead played by Andy Samberg is mostly just fairly annoying, but the stone faced Captain Ray Holt is almost always good for a laugh or two.  Terry Crew is generally pretty funny.

I'll keep watching.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

I saw the latest Jurassic Park movie. It was ok, pretty good but it seemed like it jumped the shark a bit. [spoiler]  That's because I find it ludicrous that they captured the dinos to sell them. What are the buyers going to do with them? How can they keep them secure, keep them from escaping? Not to mention the nasty legalities that would come from having them, let alone if the dinos escaped and raised havoc. [/spoiler]  That said, they left it so that a sequel could be done which is great with me as I like that series.

Eddie Teach

But the frog DNA was perfectly believable?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?