News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I've never understood WB's undying love for Zack Snyder. Only 300 made significant money for them.

Barrister

So apparently I am going to take the kids to an 11am viewing of ET at the nearby movie theatre. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2018, 09:11:57 AM
So apparently I am going to take the kids to an 11am viewing of ET at the nearby movie theatre. :unsure:

I wonder if it has aged well. For someone who has seen it before I mean, the kids will probably enjoy it.

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on September 16, 2018, 12:24:12 PM

I wonder if it has aged well. For someone who has seen it before I mean, the kids will probably enjoy it.

Drew Barrymore aged well.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

She grew up well. Aged? Meh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on September 16, 2018, 12:24:12 PM

I'm of an age where I saw ET at the theatre on its first run, my mom made me an ET costume for Halloween that year... but I haven't seen it in decades.

Pacing is a lot slower than a movie would be today.  ET himself, while cutting edge in the early 80s, certainly looked like an animatronic.  I lost myself noticing all the 80s-ness of it - in particular how little supervision the children had from parental figures.  I know mom was recently separated and this was a struggle for her, but still.

I found Speilberg's sentimentality to be fairly heavy-handed, but still pretty effective. "I'll be right here" is still pretty damn touching.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

As it is finally on iPlayer, started watching Killing Eve. Nothing but love which is weird to say for a catching a serial killer with lesbian tinge. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Good episode of Better Call Saul. Loved the opening montage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Jack Ryan first episode. I like this, it really knows how to make you like its leading characters, establishes a main story and mixes it with good action.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

I'm halfway through it and it certainly qualifies as decent harmless entertainment. It's Homeland without the good bits, but also without the bad bits.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2018, 01:01:33 PM

Agreed.  :)  I'm waiting to see if or how long Saul and Kim continue their relationship. We know that Saul will become a shady, law breaking lawyer. So at some point Kim will Kim find out. Or will she stay with him, maybe getting a bit involved in at least some of his more benign schemes? Remember that time in a bar where she and he scammed a guy, I think scammed a few people. But she doesn't seem like the type who will go to the lengths that Jimmy/Saul will.

Sophie Scholl

Wind River.   :(  Well.  That was well worth watching but rough.  I hope that it opened a few peoples' eyes to the terrible and unaddressed problem of missing Native American/First Peoples females that exists.  I know Senator Jon Tester of Montana has been a big advocate of late.  Props to him for his efforts.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on September 19, 2018, 06:54:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2018, 01:01:33 PM

Agreed.  :)  I'm waiting to see if or how long Saul and Kim continue their relationship. We know that Saul will become a shady, law breaking lawyer. So at some point Kim will Kim find out. Or will she stay with him, maybe getting a bit involved in at least some of his more benign schemes? Remember that time in a bar where she and he scammed a guy, I think scammed a few people. But she doesn't seem like the type who will go to the lengths that Jimmy/Saul will.

Yeah, they're drifting apart fast. She's the straight-laced by the book, do the right thing lawyer, and he's a crook by character. There will be a breaking point very soon.

With the construction crew I do understand they need some R&R, but I also think, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Gus was pretty dark, even for his character, knowing that he trapped his rival's mind in a broken body and keeping it that way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I like Kim a lot (and not because the actress is smoking), but their relationship has always been doomed to the start, which makes it more painful how they both try to preserve it. It's actually one of the strongest parts of the show.

Since she doesn't show up in Breaking Bad, it's obvious they won't be together.

Syt

My guess is she'll get a too-good-to-pass offer outside Albuquerque. Also, let's not forget that she actually lied to Jimmy - she told him that the new law office approached her with an offer when she actually went and suggested the cooperation to them. And in this show such little white lies tend to come back to haunt the person.
—Stephen Jay Gould