Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2018, 09:46:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2018, 04:06:29 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2018, 03:16:17 PM
If you've never seen it, you should watch the original: Frears' adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons, with Glenn Close, Malkovitch, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and (gasp) Keanu Reeves. They were all so young then too. 
Uma looks amazing in that. Just...amazing.

And its a really, really good movie.

Although Keanu was horrible, but yeah when that movie came out I went through quite the Uma phase. Didnt know there was a remake.

It is one of those teen movie adaptations set in modern times. Like how Clueless is Emma by Jane Austen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Or 10 Things I Hate About You is Taming of the Shrew. Wonder why they stopped making those.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Joss Whedon did Much Ado About Nothing, too. Although it was a bit too niche/stylized for the usual "adaptation of a classic with contemporary teens" formula.

Josephus

Anyone watching Sharp Objects? Got into that right away, and read the book while on vaction. Now I've rewatched the first four episodes. REally like it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

I've been wanting to but haven't found the time yet... Will certainly do these holidays.

The Brain

Spring Breakers. Four girls manage to acquire enough money to go on spring break where they meet James Franco (essentially playing himself). Lots of young and firm tits and ass, but the movie is painfully slow. Occasionally it wakes up and you realize that there is a movie in there trying to get out (it doesn't). This slowness in some contemporary movies is a horrible trend. Slow partially reused footage with a voice repeating the same or similar lines over and over is not a good thing. Even when the footage is of boobs you still want to shoot yourself. Notes: The chicks are hot. [spoiler]There is lesbian making out but not lesbian sex per se.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Saw the first 2 episodes of Generation War.
Basically Band of Brothers meets Our Friends in the North.
Pretty good drama of the war from the German pov.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

The Black Room. Couple move into new house but in the basement lurks an evil and horny spirit. Newly made but old-skool crap movie with rubber effects, people saying what's happening, weird music choices etc. AFAICT it's not ironic. There's the odd moment of quality but nothing more. Notes: the chicks are hot. [spoiler]If you want to see a movie where an electrician/furnace expert fancies himself a bit of a door whisperer you've come to the right place. There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Land of Mine.  Probably sounds less dorky in the original German.

A gaggle of teenage German POWs are forced to clear mines from a Danish beach.  Their hardass Danish commander grows to love them, even though they're damn dirty Krauts.

Not much plot, but it's different.

Syt

David Hyde Pierce as Jesus looks like Eric Stoltz.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2018, 11:01:10 AM
David Hyde Pierce as Jesus looks like Eric Stoltz.

Ha, before I read your caption I thought it was

The Brain

Neverlake. Young woman visits her dad in Tuscany and encounters a mysterious lake. Somewhat disjointed. Notes: The movie is in Foreign. The dad is English but looks like the most Italian guy ever. [spoiler]There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]

Malthus

I know everyone has probably seen it already, but I somehow missed watching season 3 of The Expanse when it aired, and I'm watching it now.

It's awesome - one of the best science fiction series I've seen. Very suspenseful, it is interesting seeing how they keep raising the stakes (just when you think things can't get worse - they do).

It is hard to believe this was made by the ScyFy Channel, which I usually associate with dreck like "Sharknado".  :lol: I hear that Amazon has picked it up for season 4.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Iconoclast (2017)

This is a "Post Truth" documentary about Michel van Rijn, a man who, in his own narration, was an art smuggler, forger, Mossad agent who also worked with the CIA and Scotland Yard; oh and he assassinated Josef Mengele.  Plus he may or may not know something about the 1990 robbery of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  Then he sold out and became the pitch man for Dos Equis beer.

Just kidding about that last part, though he does sort of look like "The most interesting man in the world."  In any event how much of the documentary is real, and how much is bullshit I'll leave up to you; it is entertaining if nothing else.  I think Orson Welles did a better job discussing the dark underbelly of the art world in "F for Fake" (1973.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Started Matt Groening's new show, Disenchantment, on Netflix. Good so far. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.