Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2018, 04:03:23 PM
Season 2 of Handmaid's Tale isn't nearly as solid as the first one, but damn is it gut-wrenching. Last episode was brutal as heck.

I just hope there's some light after all that much darkness, it's borderline masochistic.

Season 1 was essentially the book plus.  Season 2 is all from the imagination of the show's writers.  I agree, very dark and hard to watch.  Atwood's book was bleak as hell but there was also a strong message weaved into her writing.  This just seems brutal for the purpose of making a season long exclamation point. 

celedhring

I think it's one of those stories you can't really stretch into multiple seasons. The writers seemed to start a lot of story threads (i.e. the Unwomen camp, every time that they switch to Canada) that were aborted rather quickly without not going anywhere. Serena's character has been all over the place. The show is certainly stronger when it focuses on June, but there's so much mileage you can get from piling misery after misery upon her. The show still has some very strong moments, mind, June's [spoiler]meeting with her daughter[/spoiler] was easily the best and most emotional scene of the season. And Elizabeth Moss is simply fantastic.

Liep

Netflix' "Top Picks" list sucks. WTF did I do to deserve no less than 4 Jason Statham movies? Sure Crank was entertaining but I never watched it on Netflix.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

I've been watching My Hero Academia.
Which despite all appearances of being just a Harry Potter rip off.... is actually quite a fun anime with some depth to it.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Ha ha, so the scary bad guy in 3:10 to Yuma plays the dorky loner in Six Feet Under.  There's a guy who really grew into his face.

The Brain

The Warriors. Finally saw the whole movie. It is what it is.

Eddie Teach

Braaaaiiiin. Come out and plaaaaay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Ocean's 8

Light summer fun. Most of the audience (80% or more) were women. Mindy Kaling got the first big laugh. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

HBO to re-adapt Watchmen as a series  :w00t:

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2018, 07:49:36 AM
Braaaaiiiin. Come out and plaaaaay.

He was great in Twin Peaks.

The Brain

The Resident. Dr. Hilary Swank moves into nice but still cheap apartment in NYC. The landlord gets interested in her. Nothing special, but better than many others in the genre. There's a bit of depth to the weirdo. [spoiler]There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]

Zanza

10th anniversary. One of the best shows ever.