News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I mean I've read a few of the books and never researched to know that it is a pen-name of a writing duo (till just now) so I wouldn't be surprised that reporters don't know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2018, 07:49:12 AM
I still find it so weird to see James S.A. Corey referred as a person in all these TV articles.

I don't see James S.A. Corey referred to as a person here, so you must mean some other "TV articles."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2018, 07:59:05 AM
I mean I've read a few of the books and never researched to know that it is a pen-name of a writing duo (till just now) so I wouldn't be surprised that reporters don't know.

i read about "Mark Twain' all the time as though he were a person, but that's not what happened in the story preceding GF's comment.  The name is just mentioned (and properly, as that is the author's name on the book).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Because, as usual, English gets away with lacking precision in/of context.

I think that might be more what I never get use to.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

finishing up twin peaks the return, after gunning through the leftovers and fargo seasons threes... so far the leftovers edges out the season 3 sweepstakes, but all really good.
:p

celedhring

Killing Eve. Sandra Oh plays a low-rung MI6 operative that sees herself pitted against a hot Russian female international assassin that's completely off the scale in the nuts department. Quirky and superbly entertaining. I highly recommend it. 

HVC

Saw Solo. It was... ok. Totally unnecessary as a Star Wars movie. There were a lot of call backs (forwards?) to the other movies. A few especially groan worthy. Movie would have been much better served as a generic non Star Wars heist movie.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Generic heist movies are lucky to break a hundred million.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The Expanse officially getting a 4th season on Amazon Prime.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on May 27, 2018, 01:15:09 PM

:)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

This sounds most excellent! :punk:

http://collider.com/bill-and-ted-3/#ed-solomon
QuoteWhat's the story of Bill & Ted Face the Music?

ED SOLOMON: Bill and Ted were told at 16 that they were going to be the greatest people who ever lived. That they were gonna write a song that is going to save the world, and it hasn't happened. And now they are middle-aged men. They've got wives who used to be princesses in medieval England who are now working double shifts at Denny's, they've got teenagers that are about to leave home, money is tight, and they've been chasing this dream, writing song after song, when somebody from the future shows up and says, "You have 24 hours. The fate of all of space/time depends on it – and if it doesn't happen now, it's never gonna happen." Bill and Ted are confused because they know they had to have written it, because after all the people in the future told them they did.. so they just must not have written it yet. So in their desperation they decide their only option is to go into the future – to when the have written it – and to steal it from themselves. What follows is a kind of utterly absurd, Christmas Carol-like journey through their lives past, present, and future. Their daughters (Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted's daughter is named Billie) are also very involved in trying to help them.

It's a total comedy, but I think it's really, really grounded in the sweetness that is Bill and Ted and the emotion of where they would be at this point in their life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Solo: A Star Wars story (2018)

Wait, Han and Chewbaca shower together?  The fan-fics were right all along.  :o :o :o

;)

Not a bad bit of mindless entertainment; all chases, shoot outs and CGI.  The problem with the film is that's all there is.  Almost no time is spent developing the characters, or establishing their motives or anything else.  Han has a girlfriend which we see for a minute or two then she's gone.  Han may be flying across the galaxy for her, but we know so little about her or their relationship it's hard for us to care.  Han spends 30 seconds on planet French Verdun and he's ready to turn to a life of crime.  The Mad Max cosplayers Marauders show up, unsuccessfully maraud for a few minutes, vanish, and we're supposed to worry about them.

Alden Ehrenreich does a good job as Han.  Childish Gambino's Lando is great; I'd be surprised if there isn't a Lando movie.  I had a hard time buying Emilia Clarke's femme fatale routine.  Also I've turned into Andy Rooney; I kept thinking "Why does every woman in the galaxy have to be a martial arts expert?  No one ever doubted that Jeanne Moreau was a dangerous woman and she didn't even own a katana."

;)

As a part of the broader Star Wars narrative I thought the movie was problematic.  Han's story in Star Wars and Empire is one of redemption where the scoundrel becomes a hero.  He he's already heroic-ish.  You could make the case that he was supposed to be like Rick Blaine from Casablanca, a man whose gruff exterior hides a moral compass; but Casablanca establishes that early (the winning side would have paid you more), Star Wars doesn't even hint at that until nearly the end of the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Thanks for that. Sounds like it can be safely watch after its theatrical run. Though my local movie theater has slashed its prices, perhaps in part to encourage people like myself to see things during their original run. (Went from £13.99 to £7.99).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on May 27, 2018, 01:15:09 PM

:thumbsup:

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2018, 01:02:40 AM
This sounds most excellent! :punk:

http://collider.com/bill-and-ted-3/#ed-solomon
QuoteWhat's the story of Bill & Ted Face the Music?

ED SOLOMON: Bill and Ted were told at 16 that they were going to be the greatest people who ever lived. That they were gonna write a song that is going to save the world, and it hasn't happened. And now they are middle-aged men. They've got wives who used to be princesses in medieval England who are now working double shifts at Denny's, they've got teenagers that are about to leave home, money is tight, and they've been chasing this dream, writing song after song, when somebody from the future shows up and says, "You have 24 hours. The fate of all of space/time depends on it – and if it doesn't happen now, it's never gonna happen." Bill and Ted are confused because they know they had to have written it, because after all the people in the future told them they did.. so they just must not have written it yet. So in their desperation they decide their only option is to go into the future – to when the have written it – and to steal it from themselves. What follows is a kind of utterly absurd, Christmas Carol-like journey through their lives past, present, and future. Their daughters (Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted's daughter is named Billie) are also very involved in trying to help them.

It's a total comedy, but I think it's really, really grounded in the sweetness that is Bill and Ted and the emotion of where they would be at this point in their life.

Hope it finally comes to pass, they've been talking of this same movie since the turn of the century,.
██████
██████
██████