News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on August 22, 2017, 07:55:44 AM
The last few weeks, we binge-watched the first two seasons of Twin Peaks (first time ever!) and then the fan edition of the Twin Peaks movie, all glorious 3.5 hours of it.
We rather enjoyed the experience.

This new 3rd season is just killing us though. We are at episode 7. Is it worth pressing on, or is it going to continue being the poor man's Better Call Saul?

No.

(imho)

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2017, 07:24:29 AM
It's from the Daredevil creative team, so it's definitely going to be more like that than anything else.

I love Jessica Jones myself, can't wait for S2.

Having now watched it all (:blush:)

Tone is very much a mix of all / looks like they got some pointers at least for the various characters to keep them consistent. Weak of course when it comes to the weakest character (Iron Fist and Daredevil) and best when it comes to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Overall feeling [spoiler]is that it really just made me want to watch second seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Was a bit fun to see Iron Fist get his comeuppance here and there but overall story line made near zero sense[/spoiler].

Also, Claire and Colleen - [spoiler]were very strange. They were sidekicks who complained about being sidekicks and who were then were given more screentime that reminded you why they were sidekicks.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Anyone seen "The Exception" ?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

I was really looking forward to Twin Peaks, but I don't know....it's hard to get into.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on August 22, 2017, 08:13:36 PM
I was really looking forward to Twin Peaks, but I don't know....it's hard to get into.

I never bothered.  There are enough things out there these days fucking up my perfectly pleasant sense of nostalgia.  I'd like to have good memories remain that way, thank you.

HVC

All the hot people are old now? :P

I'm not in the age range for the nostalgia pull so I never planned on watching.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2017, 08:26:11 PM

Well that. It's a bit like going to a class reunion, and seeing how old people got in 25 years. I mean, Sherlyn Fenn, she WAS hot..she isn't now.

But I was also hoping for the class reunion, but really it isn't. The old characters are thrown in for nostalgia, but have little to do with the main plot line, a lot of which takes place outside of Twin Peaks. It's also just weird. I mean, teh original was weird too, but I guess when you're 25 you appreciate weird more than when you're 51. I dunno.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

Starting to catch up on some of the sci fi classics I really should have watched a long time ago. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've seen Terminator 2, but I had never actually watched the original- which I corrected tonight.

Practical effects. :wub: Sure, the makeup could get kinda janky at times, but the props, the explosions... there was an art there that just isn't practiced anymore. :(
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 22, 2017, 11:18:32 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've seen Terminator 2, but I had never actually watched the original- which I corrected tonight.

You should be ashamed. 

HVC

1 is good, 2 is better. We shall not talk about the others.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

1 is excellent, 2 sucks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

First episode of the defenders and.... I'm worried.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

So, started watching Tru Blood to milk away my HBO subscription before it runs out (got it just to watch GoT). Was surprised by the tone, wasn't expecting it to be so comedic. I'm enjoying it, mind.

Liep

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, fun but not as fun as the first. Kurt Russell still looks amazing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: Josephus on August 22, 2017, 10:02:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2017, 08:26:11 PM

Well that. It's a bit like going to a class reunion, and seeing how old people got in 25 years. I mean, Sherlyn Fenn, she WAS hot..she isn't now.

But I was also hoping for the class reunion, but really it isn't. The old characters are thrown in for nostalgia, but have little to do with the main plot line, a lot of which takes place outside of Twin Peaks. It's also just weird. I mean, teh original was weird too, but I guess when you're 25 you appreciate weird more than when you're 51. I dunno.

I'm not sure that's deal exactly.  I think with the original, we liked the weirdness because we thought it had some point, and most everyone got disillusioned with the show when the second season more-or-less revealed that there was no point, that it was just weirdness for weirdness sake.  So I figure now, people go into it figuring that it's just weirdness for the sake of weirdness, and most people probably don't have all that much tolerance for that.