And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on April 27, 2017, 02:07:35 PM
Imelda (2004)

Before watching this documentary, the only thing I could tell you about Imelda Marcos is that she owned a lot of shoes.

Oh, you young 'uns.  Back then, dictators and their wives had real panache.

Savonarola

Mission Control: the Unsung Heroes of Apollo  (2017)

This is a documentary about the space program focusing on the mission control team.  While the usual fixtures of Apollo program documentaries, Gene Kranz and Jim Lovell, have a good deal of screen time; a number of the less well known figures are interviewed extensively.  This was worthwhile; nowhere near as in depth as the series When We Left Earth (though they did focus much more on the smoking in mission control.)  The part I found most interesting was the people who had been there for Mercury (where mission control was here in Florida) talked about having to build mission control from scratch.  No one but the Soviets had done anything remotely like that before; and they weren't exactly eager to share their secrets with us.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

I have to endorse Mission Control: neato documentary.

celedhring

Assassin's Creed. Dumb and badly written (I think that somebody who has never played the games will get lost/disinterested pretty quick), but visually pretty good - Kurzel is a talented director, pretty bad he's lost in this.

Savonarola

The King and I (1956)

I like the part of the film where the white people show up, sing a few songs and suddenly all of Siam adopts our western values.  It's a shame Viet-Nam didn't go so well.

;)

CB and I saw this on the big screen.  The song and dance scenes are fantastic that way (the film had been shot in an extra-wide format called Cineamascope 55) especially the "Uncle Tom's Cabin" ballet and the "Shall We Dance" number.

Apparently there were no Asians in 19th Century Siam; so I think that makes up for the black people in 1780s France in "Beauty and the Beast."  In the end it all balances out.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 29, 2017, 05:01:06 PM
The King and I (1956)
Apparently there were no Asians in 19th Century Siam; so I think that makes up for the black people in 1780s France in "Beauty and the Beast."  In the end it all balances out.

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Saw La La Land. Pretty choreography and cinematography, but it utterly failed at the most important task for a movie musical- coming up with some decent, memorable songs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Wanted.  James McAvoy gets punched in the face a lot and learns to shoot around corners.  Angelina Jolie scowls and looks boney.  This is not a good movie.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2017, 12:41:49 AM
Wanted.  James McAvoy gets punched in the face a lot and learns to shoot around corners.  Angelina Jolie scowls and looks boney.  This is not a good movie.

A 102 degree fever and partial paralysis on the sofa was my excuse for watching it.  What was yours?

celedhring

Last Jack Ryan flick. Is it watchable?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2017, 08:58:01 AM
A 102 degree fever and partial paralysis on the sofa was my excuse for watching it.  What was yours?

Premium cable is pretty dead these days.  Though I did enjoy the new episodes of Silicon Valley and Veep.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 03:31:32 PM
Last Jack Ryan flick. Is it watchable?

Is that the one in which Seedy gets nuked?  If so I say take it or leave it.  It won't cause physical pain.

citizen k

Anyone see the premier of "American Gods" on Starz last night? Does anyone watch "The Leftovers"?

Zanza

Watched the first two episodes of the new Fargo season. Looking good so far.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on May 01, 2017, 03:59:22 PM
Does anyone watch "The Leftovers"?

I can't figure out what that show is about from the promos.  Post rapture?  All the sinners wander around and do stuff?