News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2017, 05:02:18 AM
I could do with more Hogarth than Colleen. I'm only I think in the midst of episode 4 though.

I do think the decision to have him explain kung-fu is an interesting one given that there had already been controversy that they decided to cast his character as white.

I find Colleen interesting, but yeah, no Hoghart's.

The main problem of the show is that the "rich guy, dead parents, becomes vigilante" has been done so much, that they needed to find some angle that made the show compelling. And they seem to be playing it pretty straight. The only thing I find mildly interesting is that the cult that adopted [spoiler]him are actually mean cunts that ruined his childhood in order to turn him into a human weapon, instead of your usual wizened Asian mystics, [/spoiler]but nothing adds to much of a muchness.

The two corporate brothers are mildly interesting. [spoiler]I.e., the chick is kind-hearthed but actually shows a pretty cold mean streak when called upon, while the guy is more antagonistic but at the same time is more vulnerable.[/spoiler] I wonder what they will do with them.

garbon

I've not yet seen Colleen be interesting. [spoiler]All, I've seen so far is tough girl attitude and then her entering the ring to make some cash, I'm assuming she'll give to her poor student. Not that she hasn't behaved realistically, just that there hasn't been enough of her character for me to want to see more of her.[/spoiler]

I also agree that [spoiler]I basically thought I was watching Arrow and am wondering if they can ever make Danny's character interesting. I think it is a let down how little they are revealing so far about his powers/what happened in his past 15 years and also annoying how child-like he is. Like when he wanted to leave the mental hospital and then thought it would make sense to tell the doctor about being the Iron Fist...[/spoiler]

The siblings are kinda cool. [spoiler]I like, as you mention, how they both sort of play off one another and haven't been written strictly as they initially seemed as good and bad. I do wonder more about what their father has over the brother that the brother is still so submissive after all these years.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

There's a bit more to come out of Colleen in future eps. It's nothing *major* so I don't think that it will change your view on the character, [spoiler]but I like that she outwardly is Ms. Straight I'm-Doing-This-For-The-Kids, but she's given indications that she's actually kinda fucked up inside. She goes to the ring a second time, and it's pretty clear that she's doing it for pure battle lust/deathwish [/spoiler] Will see if the show's writers elaborate it further.

Berkut

Finished up Goliath last night.

I thought it was overall very strong. I certainly enjoyed myself anyway.

Thorton is excellent of course, and the case in general was really good.

Some weird casting though - his daughter I thought was terribly cast. She is supposed to be 16 or 17, and she looks like she is about 25 and insanely hot. Good screen presence, and probably a fine actor, but I could never once just think of her as someone's teenaged daughter.

The story was pretty good - I thought it was a little thin in the overall plot. Like the main plot story could have been told in 4 1 hour episodes easily. But it is one of those shows where the characters and dialogue is done well enough that your don't much notice or care that the actual story isn't moving along very fast.

Overall a very good show, and worth watching if you like the court/lawyer/law drama thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2017, 10:50:39 PM
Season 2 of The Last Kingdom is starting on Netflix  :cool:

:w00t:
I had no idea it was ready
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I only see season one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

citizen k

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 22, 2017, 11:20:46 AM

I only see season one.

We'll probably get it on BBC America first.

The Minsky Moment

BBC Am is out of the picture now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 22, 2017, 11:20:46 AM

I only see season one.

That is unfortunate, season 2 has started out well.  :)

celedhring

So, Jupiter Ascending showed up on Spanish Netflix.

Yes, I'm going to do it.

Admiral Yi

Out of the Furnace.  Meth head hillbilly street fight impresario Woody Harrelson kills Iraq War vet Casey Affleck.  Casey's brother, ex con Christian Bale gets revenge.

Decently made movie, interesting for its portrayal of Appalachian meth hell, but pretty thinly plotted.

Admiral Yi

Depiction, that's the ticket. :Embarrass:

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2017, 03:18:26 PM

Yes, I'm going to do it.

WTF did I just see.

I'm trying to picture myself pitching the plot of that movie, just as it is, to a producer.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2017, 05:49:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2017, 03:18:26 PM

Yes, I'm going to do it.

WTF did I just see.

I'm trying to picture myself pitching the plot of that movie, just as it is, to a producer.

You need to be the Wachowskis to pull it off.

celedhring

It's like a demented cross between Battlefield Earth and the Star Wars prequels, with a social commentary so ham-fisted it makes Neill Blomkamp look like George Orwell.

They don't even manage to [spoiler]get Sean Bean killed[/spoiler].