Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on Today at 12:52:37 AMInteresting results which I find counterintuitive  :hmm:

The British state has hardly covered itself in glory in recent years.

Perhaps a shared hatred of the tories is bringing the country together  :cool:
:lol:

It does make you think of all the chin-stroking pieces and think tanks launched because of the huge swing of over 60% of the population to "English identity" in the 2011 census. That's been entirely reversed in the 2021 census with a swing back to British identity (in England - where it's now back to 80%+). Also in 2011 the first tick box on the list was "English" (which the ONS thought might distort results) while in 2021 they reverted to "British" at the top of the list.

QuoteWhat was the 2012 identity crisis about?
My guess: Olympics plus Scottish independence referendum in 2014.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 05:30:08 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on Today at 12:52:37 AMInteresting results which I find counterintuitive  :hmm:

The British state has hardly covered itself in glory in recent years.

Perhaps a shared hatred of the tories is bringing the country together  :cool:
:lol:

It does make you think of all the chin-stroking pieces and think tanks launched because of the huge swing of over 60% of the population to "English identity" in the 2011 census. That's been entirely reversed in the 2021 census with a swing back to British identity (in England - where it's now back to 80%+). Also in 2011 the first tick box on the list was "English" (which the ONS thought might distort results) while in 2021 they reverted to "British" at the top of the list.

Whether they do a census or not in 2031 is up in the air but there is indeed such a tendency to tick the first one you see. Clearly they need to randomise the order.
Though my memory is hazy, did it not let you tick more than one?
██████
██████
██████