News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2024, 11:20:04 AMI think Homo Erectus used fire.
Some say they did. One of the theories as to why we developed bigger brains.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Master is the contentious word there.

From what I've read there was a huge chunk of human development where we were using fire when we could get it but hadn't really figured out how to make it at will.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

As I recall, there was a Quest for it, which inexplicably resulted in the invention of the missionary position.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2024, 04:31:23 PMAs I recall, there was a Quest for it, which inexplicably resulted in the invention of the missionary position.

:lol:

Syt

Shared by my family. Not bothering to anonymize these names - none of them are part of my family, and it's publicly accessible.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I like the "It's all essentials, no luxury".  Restaurants and airfare, sure.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Obviously nothing would work with the zealots. But for those whose vote is up for grabs I do wonder what the best tactics on this would be.
It obviously isn't Biden's fault...but how to communicate that.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:21:35 AMObviously nothing would work with the zealots. But for those whose vote is up for grabs I do wonder what the best tactics on this would be.

A semester on macro economics.

The left does the same thing when it's their turn.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 03:14:19 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:21:35 AMObviously nothing would work with the zealots. But for those whose vote is up for grabs I do wonder what the best tactics on this would be.

A semester on macro economics.

The left does the same thing when it's their turn.

Yeah and its bullshit. Bill Clinton started that shit and it was stupid then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Is it bullshit? Surely it's pretty standard that the economy of today is made by decisions from a few years ago?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:47:13 PMIs it bullshit? Surely it's pretty standard that the economy of today is made by decisions from a few years ago?

It can be but usually it is stuff that happened long before a few years ago or from events that had nothing to do with decisions made by the government. Sometimes supply and demand and economics just sort of happen.

And it gets really stupid. People start blaming the economy on the President the second he gets into office as if somehow just him getting elected shifted the whole economy around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."