Poll

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
11 (12.1%)
British - Leave
7 (7.7%)
Other European - Remain
19 (20.9%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6.6%)
ROTW - Remain
29 (31.9%)
ROTW - Leave
19 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 375571 times)

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
Re: Brexit
« Reply #8670 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:33 pm »
I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.

Who are the moderate politicians?

I don't have to prove a negative so to speak.

All of this a plague on all of your houses is getting tiresome, by that I mean people writing off all politicians as corrupt or self-serving. And it's a narrative that the 'man in the street' is loving harping on about.

There are plenty of decent politicians in parliament, it's unfortunate that the barely functioning government is now the plaything of the extreme right.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • LLL.Rural Poverty
« Reply #8671 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:22 pm »
Theresa May basically attacked parliament in a very populist and authoritarian speech. All this taking back control for her was always about more government power, not more democracy. Shows her real personality.

Indeed and Tamas can fill us in on the details of how this develops further.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #8672 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:24 pm »
I am still amazed by the total failure of politics in a mature democracy.  This is the sort of bullshit you see in Argentina or Greece.

No, it's two prime ministers putting internal party politics ahead of the national interest and then every other political leader failing to understand the dangers in the brexit process.

So not a total failure, there's still a chance the moderate politicians will act in the face of this far-right shift in UK politics.

Who are the moderate politicians?

I don't have to prove a negative so to speak.

All of this a plague on all of your houses is getting tiresome, by that I mean people writing off all politicians as corrupt or self-serving. And it's a narrative that the 'man in the street' is loving harping on about.

There are plenty of decent politicians in parliament, it's unfortunate that the barely functioning government is now the plaything of the extreme right.

I wasn't asking you to prove a negative.  You said that a moderate politician could still act.  I can't help but ask you who that politician is.

Putting this all on the extreme right seems disingenuous.  It's not like there was just a small handful of Neo-Nazis who voted.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #8673 on: Today at 12:59:21 am »
If somehow Britain decided it wanted to remain after all, the EU states would have to approve it, right?  Not automatic?

The UK can rescind Article 50 unilaterally, according to a recent ruling from the ECJ.

They were told to deliver that ruling, so I guess the system works.
Who told them to deliver that ruling? The Commission argued differently.

Besides, the ECJ is not an EU institution, but a pan-European one (hence why e.g. Russia occasionally gets dragged in front of it).
Here in these streets are the things that we want: sex and birth, votes and traits, money and guilt, television and teddy bears. But all we've actually got is each other. You decide what that means.