News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2024, 04:20:05 PMJust imagine ramifications if Netanyahu was caught on a hot mic talking shit about him.
Step 1:
Get the Palestinian leaders to flatter Trump's ego.

Step 2:
Try to catch Bibi on a hot mic talking shit about him.

Instant policy reversal.  Otto has a meltdown.   :showoff:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2024, 02:46:13 PMDisagree.  It's my belief that the one interest group he considers absolutely indispensable is evangelicals.  And Israel is their pet.

There are few things Donald Trump loves more than taking advantage of people and pulling something over on people who think he's in their corner.

One theme for the current American radical right is the way they've turned on and jettisoned previous shibboleths and purity tests for their movement. Sure they evangelical right loves Israel, but if Trump could find a way to turn his base against Israel for his own gain (or ego) he'd have no compunction not to. And if the Trump base is given a choice between Trump or Israel, I think they'll break for Trump in large numbers.

EDIT: Not right now, of course. But soon enough.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 27, 2024, 02:36:17 PMWhy is everyone surprised when someone who has openly admitted here of his hatred of Muslims said he will vote for Donald Trump  :lol:

Jeez people get a grip.

I just...don't understand it. He is babbling insane nonsense.

"1+2 = Fish! 1+2 = Fish!" makes more sense than this means we are now aligned with Hamas. Hamas doesn't even want the damn cease fire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2024, 02:46:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2024, 12:04:45 PMThe Trump coalition is full of folks saying "when Trump says he'll sell my interest group out, it's just empty posturing for effect or clever politics; he'd never actually do it. When he says he'll sell out interest groups I dislike, it's honest no-bullshit say-it-like-it-is truth and it's amazing and that's why I love him."

Trump doesn't give a damn about Israel or Palestinians. He'll turn to line his pockets and stroke his ego at any time it seems convenient. That may or may not include selling out Israel at any given point.

Disagree.  It's my belief that the one interest group he considers absolutely indispensable is evangelicals.  And Israel is their pet.

I don't think Trump considers anyone indispensable, not even his own children.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2024, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2024, 02:46:13 PMDisagree.  It's my belief that the one interest group he considers absolutely indispensable is evangelicals.  And Israel is their pet.

There are few things Donald Trump loves more than taking advantage of people and pulling something over on people who think he's in their corner.

One theme for the current American radical right is the way they've turned on and jettisoned previous shibboleths and purity tests for their movement. Sure they evangelical right loves Israel, but if Trump could find a way to turn his base against Israel for his own gain (or ego) he'd have no compunction not to. And if the Trump base is given a choice between Trump or Israel, I think they'll break for Trump in large numbers.

And even then...isn't the Christian evangelical support of Israel based on some mad idea that they'll bring about the Second Coming/Apocolypse?  :hmm:

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 27, 2024, 08:36:10 PM

And even then...isn't the Christian evangelical support of Israel based on some mad idea that they'll bring about the Second Coming/Apocolypse?  :hmm:

Once all the Jews of Israel convert to the one true god the apocalypse will start, IIRC.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on March 27, 2024, 08:39:26 PM

Once all the Jews of Israel convert to the one true god the apocalypse will start, IIRC.

Isn't the second coming a necessary precursor for this?

But even in a biblical apocalypse I could well imagine a divide would remain over whether its first or second and the man himself going "Guys. Its my 6th." wouldn't change anything :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:16:38 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 27, 2024, 08:39:26 PM

Isn't the second coming a necessary precursor for this?

But even in a biblical apocalypse I could well imagine a divide would remain over whether its first or second and the man himself going "Guys. Its my 6th." wouldn't change anything :hmm:

For apocalypse, minded evangelicals it's all about the rebuilding of the temple.  An interesting counterfactual thought experiment is what would happen if evangelicals in the United States, were not so fixated on bringing about the end of the world.

Tamas

I think you guys keep missing an important point: a decisive portion of loudly religious people are only loudly religious to find excuses for being the absolute bastards which they are. They take the teachings of their religion about as seriously as your average atheist.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 09:11:37 AMI think you guys keep missing an important point: a decisive portion of loudly religious people are only loudly religious to find excuses for being the absolute bastards which they are. They take the teachings of their religion about as seriously as your average atheist.

I don't think that is accurate.  There is a strong belief amongst evangelicals that their God is responsible for their financial success.  And so they have an economic incentive to be faithful.

That same belief underpins the view that being poor is a moral failing.

All of which works well with right wing ideology.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 09:11:37 AMI think you guys keep missing an important point: a decisive portion of loudly religious people are only loudly religious to find excuses for being the absolute bastards which they are. They take the teachings of their religion about as seriously as your average atheist.
I disagree.

I take my atheism very seriously.  :mad:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.