News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2024, 12:00:00 AMNo Viper!

Do you honestly think the NHL believes there is more money to be made in fucking Utah?  That there's some horde of mormons out there that'll become huge hockey fans if only there is a team placed in Salt Lake City?

No.

It is honestly as simple as the fact they found a guy who would spend $1.2 billion to put a team there.

If Saskatoon had someone willing to spend $1.2 billion to put a team in Saskatchewan, that's where the team would be going instead.

It's just that cold.  It's all about franchise value.

The league only gets 200 million US$.
The 1 billion$ goes to Meruelo, not the league, so they don't care.

The NHL pays 1 billion$ to buy the Franchise, than Smith pays the NHL 1.2 billion$.

It's really a net profit of 200M$.

The real money to be made is in the increase value of the tv rights.

Look again the at deal:
Meruelo, meanwhile, received $1 billion in the sale, according to sources, and will maintain the name, intellectual property and historical records of the Coyotes -- which will now be considered an inactive franchise. Meruelo will have a five-year window in which he can try to build an arena and bring a team to Arizona, for an expected price tag of $1 billion.

The extra $200 million in this week's sale will be split among NHL teams.
ESPN story

Either they really hate French speakers, or they think they can make more money with tv rights by constantly expanding in the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I think 2 things have happened in the last decade.

1. Is that the NHL has figured out that it can get 30 teams in the USA without saturating the market.

2. Is that sport teams owner I've figured that the NHL is cheap to run compared to the NBA and NFL. You also don't have the trouble of dealing the Don Garber's MLS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2024, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2024, 12:00:00 AMNo Viper!

Do you honestly think the NHL believes there is more money to be made in fucking Utah?  That there's some horde of mormons out there that'll become huge hockey fans if only there is a team placed in Salt Lake City?

No.

It is honestly as simple as the fact they found a guy who would spend $1.2 billion to put a team there.

If Saskatoon had someone willing to spend $1.2 billion to put a team in Saskatchewan, that's where the team would be going instead.

It's just that cold.  It's all about franchise value.

The league only gets 200 million US$.
The 1 billion$ goes to Meruelo, not the league, so they don't care.

The NHL pays 1 billion$ to buy the Franchise, than Smith pays the NHL 1.2 billion$.

It's really a net profit of 200M$.

Repeat after me - franchise value.

How is the valuation of something determined? Comparables.  Trying to figure out what your home is worth on the open market?  You see what other houses, similar to yours, have sold for.

If the freaking Arizona Coyotes are worth $1.2 billion then so is every other franchise - at a minimum.

If the NHL gave PKP (or anyone else) a franchise in Quebec City for $250 million then boom - suddenly franchises are only worth $250 mil.  Because that then becomes the comparable.

Look- this is not necessarily a healthy way for the league to look at valuation.  It seems very bubble-like.  But it is a much more easy explanation than anti-french racism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

There will be a PWHL team in Quebec City before and NHL one. You heard it here.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

At least we get rid of either the Lightning or the Panthers in the first round.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

There isn't a single team I like in the playoffs so it is going to be a little rough to keep engaged. I guess I'll root for the Jets for Beeb's sake?

I *am* super excited to have the PWHL back from their break and with the playoffs looming there, though.  :showoff:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

That game last night was wild.  7-6 Jets win over the Avs.

Not the game plan I would have drawn up if I were the Jets coach.

But a win is a win, so I'll take it.  Jets up 1-0 in the series.

HVC

Sweet, sweet false hope
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Were the announcers really celebrating Matthews' "70 goal season" last night?

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 22, 2024, 10:30:38 PMSweet, sweet false hope

Nice win.

My comfort tonight is that if the Caps humiliate themselves again I am closer to not having to watch any more blowout losses for awhile. So many this season.