News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking at getting this

Started by Alcibiades, April 04, 2010, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

I've built my own a couple times before....just been years.  Would rather just have someone do it and take care of shit when it goes wrong for a couple of hundred dollars this time considering the price tag.  :)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
You think so? I've not heard that.
That would be odd...but cool. Cartidges were awesome.
Would be amusing if it happened though, it used to be PCs were discs and consoles were carts, it would mark a complete turn-around.

Why not?  DS games run on 512MB flash cards...
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2010, 01:37:40 PM
PC games will be on Flash drives before they are on Blu-Rays.

Who's building it? Can I do it?
Would be amusing if it happened though, it used to be PCs were discs and consoles were carts, it would mark a complete turn-around.

I do. More & more laptops are not going to feature dvd/cd/bluray in the future.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I agree that the new floppy is the flash drive, not some version of CD.  However, wouldn't putting games on flash drive be pointlessly expensive?  CDs/DVDs/etc. seem like perfect media for installation disks.

Grey Fox

Maybe but then again software companies are giving flash drives away like candies at conventions & other meetings.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 07, 2010, 04:32:15 PM
Maybe but then again software companies are giving flash drives away like candies at conventions & other meetings.
Yeah, but still, gift bags are one thing, millions of copies is another.  The cost per GB is not even close.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 07, 2010, 03:40:37 PM

Why not?  DS games run on 512MB flash cards...
Early computers did include cartridge readers.  I miss my Atari.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 07, 2010, 06:42:48 PM

:punk:

I wish I had space to set mine up.  And a working disk drive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2010, 06:39:31 PM
Yeah, but still, gift bags are one thing, millions of copies is another.  The cost per GB is not even close.

The idea is that solid-state media can run fast enough in large enough capacities that you'd no longer need to install; you could just install the game engine onto the media and let autoplay do all the work.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2010, 06:39:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 07, 2010, 04:32:15 PM
Agreed, and what is being given away is flash drives too small to be salable any more.  Production cost per unit for a 2GB game is going to be much higher with flash drives, I should think; both the medium and the process are more expensive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

They were quality machines.  In my experience at least far more reliable as far as hardware goes than many mass market commercial PCs of today are.
Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2010, 11:13:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 07, 2010, 06:42:48 PM

:punk:

I wish I had space to set mine up.  And a working disk drive.
PDH!