News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking at getting this

Started by Alcibiades, April 04, 2010, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Case   CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case-Black

Processor   Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Motherboard   [SLI] ASUS P6X58D Premium w/ 2x Gb LAN

Memory   12 GB [2 GB X6] DDR3-1800 Triple Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 1.5GB-Single Card

Power Supply   1200 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M Power Supply-Quad SLI Ready

Processor Cooling   Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]

Primary Hard Drive   80 GB Intel X25-M MLC SSD-Single Drive

Data Hard Drive   1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive

Optical Drive   24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black

Sound Card   3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card   Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate -64-Bit
Warranty   Standard Warranty Service-Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support

Advanced Build Options   Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound-The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion   [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive   PowerDrive Level 3 - Up to 30% Overclocking

Subtotal   $3,186.00

I tried putting it together on Newegg and it comes out to $2,970.  $100 of the dollars is for 'overclocking' on the desktop, so basically its only a hundred dollar difference for them to ship it to me and give me a 3 year warranty.

Basically, critique this please?  The price isn't *too* much of an issue for me.  And is Windows 7 ultimate really worth it?  I've heard its the best version for gaming and I'm not sure other versions will recognize all that ram?  And actually how easy would it be to over-clock it myself?  Though it may void the warranty..

Thanks
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Josquius

The price is insane :o

That being said though I never knew you could have up to 12gb ram
██████
██████
██████

Alcibiades

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2010, 04:06:47 PM
The price is insane :o

That being said though I never knew you could have up to 12gb ram

Max is 24gb now from what I've seen.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

1.  Why do you need Windows 7 Ultimate, as opposed to Home Premium?  Also, why do you need all those gay warranties/tech support things?  You have us for tech support.  Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for System Builders is like $100.

2.  Why do you need a 1200 watt power supply?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lucidor

Sounds about as awesome as they get. The SSD setup is probably the fastest you can go. The memory is a nice touch. Neither 5 1/4" or 3,5" floppy drives? Sounds risky!

Alcibiades

Quote from: Lucidor on April 04, 2010, 04:50:13 PM
Sounds about as awesome as they get. The SSD setup is probably the fastest you can go. The memory is a nice touch. Neither 5 1/4" or 3,5" floppy drives? Sounds risky!

I have a portable USB one.   :thumbsup:

Barrister

There's some amazing overkill there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2010, 06:05:52 PM
There's some amazing overkill there.

Well it's no mac....but I try.   :P

Want something to woo me for the next few years.   :bowler:

Alcibiades

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2010, 04:38:03 PM
1.  Why do you need Windows 7 Ultimate, as opposed to Home Premium?  Also, why do you need all those gay warranties/tech support things?  You have us for tech support.  Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for System Builders is like $100.

2.  Why do you need a 1200 watt power supply?  :huh:

1. I've heard you need Windows ultimate(64-bit) to read more than a certain amount of ram, not sure if that is true?

2.  The video card alone recommends 300 watts, and if I am to upgrade to SLI when this system starts to be slow, I think 1200 watts is a good idea.  A power supply scales down to what you need, but wont go above. :)

Edit:  Under SLI, the 480 for instance consumes 851 watts of power at full load by themselves.   :o

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 04, 2010, 06:23:57 PM
2.  The video card alone recommends 300 watts, and if I am to upgrade to SLI when this system starts to be slow, I think 1200 watts is a good idea.  A power supply scales down to what you need, but wont go above. :)

Double-check and I think you will find that your CP case can hold two power supplies.  No need to pay the premium for 1200 watts just yet. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

It's realistically only 100$ more than an 800 watt power supply, and thermaltake is a really good brand.

Also considering going for the ATI 5870, 120$ cheaper than the Nvidia equivalent, and Nvidia is likely to come out with something much better by the end of the year since the 480 sounds to be a bit of a flop from what expectations were.

Caliga

Grey Fox

Hard to disagree with any of those choices if price isn't an issue.

I'm jealous.

I was playing COD4 on my GF's father computer (i5 + Nvidia 260) & gawd do I need to upgrade.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Yeah, Alci... if you truly don't care about cost then you can disregard my posts.  I just have a pathological (pathological because I don't truly need to) need to try to get everything as cheaply as possible.

Alcibiades

Well I mean, If I am over paying substantially, or a couple months away from saving a few hundred dollars then by all means.  But I think it seems to be a very good deal all considered.

And does anybody know about windows 7 ultimate?