News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Oooh... thanks for the tip. Added to my list.

The Brain

Finished some Viking archers. So now a basic Viking warband is done as well.

Since Normans, Saxons, and Vikings look not completely dissimilar I have marked the bottom of the bases of all models with a sharpie S for Saxon etc. Of course if they look the same it doesn't really matter, but I like to know what they're supposed to be without having to think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Never opened this thread before.  Wow, nice job guys.  :)

I'd like to get into miniatures gaming but I don't know if I will be.... er, allowed to take up all the space. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2021, 03:44:00 PM

I'd like to get into miniatures gaming but I don't know if I will be.... er, allowed to take up all the space. :blush:

If you were allowed, what kind of miniature gaming would it be? :)

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2021, 03:44:00 PM

My eyesight for this went about a decade ago - too much masturbation I guess...or not enough.  I live vicariously through this thread.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2021, 03:48:56 PM
I like your Viking/Saxon miniatures.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2021, 10:19:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2021, 03:48:56 PM
I like your Viking/Saxon miniatures.

Flattery and dodge? You'll go far, son. :)

But seriously, cool and thanks.

The Brain

Some Viking reinforcements. These are all V&V Miniatures. They are great sculpts, a better painter would do them justice in a way I cannot. My only nitpick is that the shieldmaiden's feet are as big as the men's. My guess is the sculptor used some feet he had around ("feet is feet").

The Brain

I couldn't resist this Odin figure from Footsoore Miniatures. I like the portrayal of the Weary Wanderer leaning on his spear, an old man but still tall and powerful. I'm not a huge fan of the eyepatch, an item that isn't associated with Odin, but I suppose it's a way to make obvious in 28mm scale that he has only one eye. I noticed after taking the pic that he had lost some paint on his spear and pants during basing, so I've fixed that. I added the wolves from Warlord Games. They have gotten a very basic even grey fur, because I'm not gonna attempt to paint realistic fur.

The reason I painted him is that I have a vague idea of having religious effects available to the warbands, different for every religion, and all illustrated by some kind of model to put on the table. Possibly bought as a Stratagem, or maybe "summoned" by a religious model (priest or similar). The Vikings could for instance get an Odin Is Watching effect, maybe a random combat bonus that is likely to be positive but can be negative since Odin is fickle and is collecting warriors for Valhalla. So you place Odin somewhere on the table to remind you of the effect. If I'm feeling really granular the effect could in theory have different strengths illustrated by the number of wolves (0-2) also present. In a historical setting the religious effects can be considered purely psychological, but in a low fantasy setting the effects could conceivably get more fantastical.

The Brain

The start of an Irish warband. These are V&V Minis.

The Irish are likely to be called on to Count As Scots or whatever if the need arises. Unless I spot some cool figs of course...

Jacob

Nice as usual :cheers:

You decided against shield transfers on the Irish / Scots/ Scots-Irish?

I've slowly been painting a few more minis. I'll share when I reach a decent number (and get around to take photos).

The Brain

Yeah, Little Big Men don't do transfers for V&V Minis (yet...?). And the Irish aren't known (to me) for any special shield design that you feel honor-bound to represent. And as a virtue out of necessity a lack of transfers makes the figs a bit more generic and thus more flexible (when you don't paint intricate stuff by hand which I don't). If I really wanted to I could try to find some transfers (for other figs) that fit some of the shields okayish, but I decided against this.

Share when you're comfortable. :)

The Brain

Some Irish slingers, and a priest. The priest is from Stronghold Terrain, but my impression is that it's a Brother Vinni sculpt (sold legally by Stronghold). I decided not to include his flowing cape.

The Brain

Some more Irish. I now have a basic Irish warband finished as well. Nice.

I glued a piece of metal under the base of the standard bearer for better balance. He could stand up without it, but better safe than sorry. The resin figures are very light.

Syt

So apparently this was a necessary clarification?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

(all emphasis theirs)

QuoteThe Imperium Is Driven by Hate. Warhammer Is Not.

There are no goodies in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

None.

Especially not the Imperium of Man.

Its numberless legions of soldiers and zealots bludgeon their way across the galaxy, delivering death to anyone and anything that doesn't adhere to their blinkered view of purity. Almost every man and woman toils in misery either on the battlefield – where survival is measured in hours – or in the countless manufactorums and hive slums that fuel the Imperial war machine. All of this in slavish servitude to the living corpse of a God-Emperor whose commandments are at best only half-remembered, twisted by time and the fallibility of Humanity.

Warhammer 40,000 isn't just grimdark. It's the grimmest, darkest.

The Imperium of Man stands as a cautionary tale of what could happen should the very worst of Humanity's lust for power and extreme, unyielding xenophobia set in. Like so many aspects of Warhammer 40,000, the Imperium of Man is satirical.

For clarity: satire is the use of humour, irony, or exaggeration, displaying people's vices or a system's flaws for scorn, derision, and ridicule. Something doesn't have to be wacky or laugh-out-loud funny to be satire. The derision is in the setting's amplification of a tyrannical, genocidal regime, turned up to 11. The Imperium is not an aspirational state, outside of the in-universe perspectives of those who are slaves to its systems. It's a monstrous civilisation, and its monstrousness is plain for all to see.

That said, certain real-world hate groups – and adherents of historical ideologies better left in the past – sometimes seek to claim intellectual properties for their own enjoyment, and to co-opt them for their own agendas.

We've said it before, but a reminder about what we believe in:

"We believe in and support a community united by shared values of mutual kindness and respect. Our fantasy settings are grim and dark, but that is not a reflection of who we are or how we feel the real world should be. We will never accept nor condone any form of prejudice, hatred, or abuse in our company, or in the Warhammer hobby."

If you come to a Games Workshop event or store and behave to the contrary, including wearing the symbols of real-world hate groups, you will be asked to leave. We won't let you participate. We don't want your money. We don't want you in the Warhammer community.

For those heroes out there running their own Warhammer events, we'd love for you to join us in this stance.

Over the years, we've been fortunate enough to support events like AdeptiCon, the Las Vegas Open, Blood & Glory, and many, many more with terrain, prizes, and goody bags. We've also provided staff to help with organisation and rules queries, and to judge painting competitions and run seminars.

If you need help running an event, including creating a safe and rewarding experience for your attendees, we're here to help. Just drop our Events Team an email at [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you, and we're ready to offer any support we can.

And if you're an educator, youth worker or leader of a young persons' group, then we can support you too!

We've already contributed millions of pounds to our Warhammer Alliance network, and are committed to continuing to provide free miniatures and resources to schools, Scouts,* and similar youth groups. It's our hope that the Warhammer Alliance can continue to provide a creative and educational outlet, building a community of shared belonging and respect between young people from all walks of life. If you are interested in Warhammer Alliance, please visit warhammer-alliance.com.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.