News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2018, 01:49:41 PM
Hey I can see my old Photobucket pics again (for instance the first page of the thread). Can you? Maybe Photobucket came to their senses.
They're back!  Also, very nice work, sir. :cheers:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Man spends 70 years to build the royal navy out of matchsticks (and match boxes): https://youtu.be/Z5IT90vZBRo

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2018, 02:10:53 AM
Man spends 70 years to build the royal navy out of matchsticks (and match boxes): https://youtu.be/Z5IT90vZBRo

Very cool! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I recently got some Death Korps of Krieg guys from Forge World. I've bought the odd Krieg guy before to include in my Inquisitor outfit, but I wanted to make something more with Krieg. A full army was out of the question, both because I already have an IG army (in greyish colors, which is what I'd use for Krieg) and because the range is shrinking and no longer includes all original figures (the range is 15+ years old and I suppose the moulds are giving up or something). I plan to assemble two squads and a command squad, and paint them as ghosts. I can't be bothered to paint them normally so if I want them painted it has to be quick and easy (I will keep a few models for possible later real painting). The basic idea will be a Ghost Battalion cursed to fight forever in the harshest war zones for some old sin or vow, statwise they can be Stormtroopers (whatever the hell those are called these days) for better ghostly stats and appearing by "airdrop" to support my regular IG army. Krieg guys also look suitably ancient compared to my Cadian models. I've assembled one squad so far. The Krieg models are gorgeous I think, high class stuff.

Sophie Scholl

I love the DKoK models.  I'd personally like an army painted up in WWI French Army colors, but that's my preference.  Another thought could be to use them as Poxwalkers in a Death Guard Army.  I think they'd be awesome for that, too.  An indy model maker once made DKoK-esque models that were zombied up.  They looked amazing.  I wish I'd gotten some.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Iormlund

Whilst in the subject of 40k, these fan-made videos are the best CGI I've seen since the Lich King cinematic. The atmosphere, portrayal of the Marines and the attention to detail are amazing.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on July 08, 2019, 04:39:19 PM
I recently got some Death Korps of Krieg guys from Forge World. I've bought the odd Krieg guy before to include in my Inquisitor outfit, but I wanted to make something more with Krieg. A full army was out of the question, both because I already have an IG army (in greyish colors, which is what I'd use for Krieg) and because the range is shrinking and no longer includes all original figures (the range is 15+ years old and I suppose the moulds are giving up or something). I plan to assemble two squads and a command squad, and paint them as ghosts. I can't be bothered to paint them normally so if I want them painted it has to be quick and easy (I will keep a few models for possible later real painting). The basic idea will be a Ghost Battalion cursed to fight forever in the harshest war zones for some old sin or vow, statwise they can be Stormtroopers (whatever the hell those are called these days) for better ghostly stats and appearing by "airdrop" to support my regular IG army. Krieg guys also look suitably ancient compared to my Cadian models. I've assembled one squad so far. The Krieg models are gorgeous I think, high class stuff.

And, through the power of speed painting, the platoon (25 models) is done. Examples below.

I shamelessly looked at a tutorial on the GW website and simplified it even further. There's only two steps here: a green wash over raw resin and then a drybrush with light grey. Well to me they look ghostly enough for the tabletop.

I thought about basing them properly but I probably won't. Three reasons: 1) basing them would take longer than painting the figures, and 2) as ghosts they aren't really supposed to "connect" to the ground like normal models, and since the models themselves have "weight" (they are not modelled as etheral) they can't be positioned floating above the ground or whatever without looking seriously silly, and finally 3) unpainted black plastic will fit reasonably well with my IG black plasphalt type bases.

The DKoK models are very very nice indeed.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on July 10, 2019, 04:06:28 AM
Whilst in the subject of 40k, these fan-made videos are the best CGI I've seen since the Lich King cinematic. The atmosphere, portrayal of the Marines and the attention to detail are amazing.

Yeah. Very cool!

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on July 10, 2019, 04:06:28 AM

Excellent. Looks like just another day at the office for them.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on July 10, 2019, 01:54:40 PM
I thought about basing them properly but I probably won't. Three reasons: 1) basing them would take longer than painting the figures, and 2) as ghosts they aren't really supposed to "connect" to the ground like normal models, and since the models themselves have "weight" (they are not modelled as etheral) they can't be positioned floating above the ground or whatever without looking seriously silly, and finally 3) unpainted black plastic will fit reasonably well with my IG black plasphalt type bases.
A thought:  Maybe use clear bases?  It will give them a unique look while also making them "floating".

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 11, 2019, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 10, 2019, 01:54:40 PM
A thought:  Maybe use clear bases?  It will give them a unique look while also making them "floating".

The idea has crossed my mind, but I haven't really liked the look of clear bases when I've seen models with them. Can't put my finger on it but they don't really do it for me.

The Brain

I finally bought one of those lamp/magnifier things. So much more pleasant to paint stuff, and better results. So I'm old but so what.

The Brain

I'm working on an Ordo Hereticus inquisitor and retinue (buddies of my Iron Templars army, see above). Finished two guys so far, an acolyte and "Mr. Burns". They're not based yet, I will base them all when they're done.

The Brain