Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Hasn't Berkshire Hathaway been hammered by their exposure to Airlines?

They've been hammered because everything has been hammered.

Wasn't aware they had big airlines holdings.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2020, 06:58:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Hasn't Berkshire Hathaway been hammered by their exposure to Airlines?

They've been hammered because everything has been hammered.

Wasn't aware they had big airlines holdings.

Yi, just what I read, not sure  how accurate it was.

I was interested in the contrast between an industry buggered inthe short-run (the virus) vs it's more traditional American brand holding etc.

Admiral Yi

Looks like you're right.  Significant minority stakes in four carriers.

Don't really know what you mean by:

an industry buggered inthe short-run (the virus) vs it's more traditional American brand holding etc.

DGuller

I'd also be concerned about his insurance holdings.  For Geico this whole thing must be a windfall, but he's also in reinsurance business.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Mah REITs...

...are taking a pounding.  But that's gonna happen with the interest rate cuts.

Josquius

Looking at finally taking the plunge into this and opening an account before the tax year is up. Not too much money for now. The drawbacks of price of transactions looks large.
What platform is the one to use?
I read Cavendish or nutmeg?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Only the other Poms are going to be able to help you with that Squeeze.  Those brokerages don't operate here AFAIK.

Tonitrus

My current brokerage, which ran well enough through my banking platform/website...sold it's brokerage functions out to Charles Schwab, and is going make me switch over to there.  :ultra:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 05:47:04 AM
Only the other Poms are going to be able to help you with that Squeeze.  Those brokerages don't operate here AFAIK.

Mongers International Trading Inc do an exceptional bespoke trading service.  :bowler:

Habbaku

Surely there's a Vanguard-adjacent brokerage for the UK that offers low-cost mutual fund support and such?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I went with cavedish, seemed the best for my beginner low value needs. Putting in just £50-100 a month to see what happens for now. Regarding it somewhat similar to the way some will bet on sports.

Now to decide on funds. Oddly the highest yield ones seem to have the lowest ratings. Will have to do a lot of reading about quite what this all means.  But I got it open before the 6th April deadline, thats the important part, can chill and look into it more on the weekend.
██████
██████
██████