Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 04:27:27 PM
If you have a lot of cash on hand, what would you do?  Is it time to be greedy when others are fearful, or is there still plenty to be fearful about?

I heard a chick on CNBC say something interesting a couple days back:

We all know you should buy low and sell high.  This is what buying low looks like.  It's always scary.

DGuller

What makes me extra wary is the possibility that this isn't just a coronavirus.  What if the market had been overheating for a while, especially with the tax cuts feeding stimulus right when we don't need it, and we were bound to be in for a deep recession anyway?  We may be seeing a crash that was overdue on its own and just finally triggered, and now we have the bubble pop coupled with the legitimate economic effect of coronavirus putting the downward pressure on everything.

But Yi's chick does make a good point.  It must be scary when it's a buying opportunity, or it wouldn't be a buying opportunity.  At some point you have to grab your balls and go for it, and hope that it isn't just a beginning of much worse things to come.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
What makes me extra wary is the possibility that this isn't just a coronavirus.  What if the market had been overheating for a while, especially with the tax cuts feeding stimulus right when we don't need it, and we were bound to be in for a deep recession anyway?  We may be seeing a crash that was overdue on its own and just finally triggered, and now we have the bubble pop coupled with the legitimate economic effect of coronavirus putting the downward pressure on everything.

Yeah, I think most people agreed PEs were stretched before the crash.  And then you can discuss what a reasonable PE is and get to a bottom.  The problem with that is because of covid we don't know what E will be.

The part I don't agree with is that a market correction leads automatically to a recession, just by itself.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 26, 2020, 03:23:14 AM
I'm in cash now apart from some gold stocks, some bonds and a couple of speculatives.

I think this virus will become a pandemic and will seriously disrupt the world economy.....so there will be a substantial adjustment to stockmarket values.

Of course I could easily be wrong  :P

Seems you weren't. :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Fair enough, I conflated the market crash with the economy, when these two shouldn't necessarily go together.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 11:54:48 AM
A little schizo today

Sorry,  I slept in and forgot to take my meds this morning.  I'll get right on that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2020, 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2020, 11:54:48 AM
A little schizo today

Sorry,  I slept in and forgot to take my meds this morning.  I'll get right on that.

Sorry Raz, you can't take the credit for this, it takes a real destructive genius to pull of last night's stunt that has in part cratered the stock markets today, biggest loses in 33 years apparently.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 12, 2020, 04:24:53 PM
How are people doing?

My investments are taking a beating but since I don't really plan on doing anything with them for a few decades I am not worried too much. I mean surely the market will have recovered by then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

I just tried to log in to my 401K portfolio and the website is down. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 12, 2020, 05:23:54 PM
Sorry Raz, you can't take the credit for this, it takes a real destructive genius to pull of last night's stunt that has in part cratered the stock markets today, biggest loses in 33 years apparently.

Really?  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 04:27:27 PM
If you have a lot of cash on hand, what would you do?  Is it time to be greedy when others are fearful, or is there still plenty to be fearful about?

I messed around with the TVIX today and made some cash with my fun money. I do not recommend this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2020, 05:25:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 12, 2020, 04:24:53 PM
How are people doing?

My investments are taking a beating but since I don't really plan on doing anything with them for a few decades I am not worried too much. I mean surely the market will have recovered by then.

This is the correct attitude. I log in every day because I'm obsessive, but I don't worry, counsel not worrying, and definitely don't fucking sell in times like these.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on March 12, 2020, 06:04:13 PM
I messed around with the TVIX today and made some cash with my fun money. I do not recommend this.

You go long VIX or short?

U SO HARDCORE MANG

Habbaku

:lol: Bought in on TVIX around $360 this morning and sold before I headed home from work. Fun throw of the dice.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Why are they going up so much?  Did they find a cure for the coronavirus?