Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on December 25, 2018, 06:31:55 PM
Tamas, do you mostly invest in the US markets?

I have very little money in it so it doesn't even worth analysing. The plan was to regularly add to it (with most of my savings going to normal savings), but that's now on hold until Trump saves us all from Mexicans ruining the stock market.

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Do real dead cats actually bounce?  I've never even once seen it happen.

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2018, 04:31:32 PM

How many dead cats have you thrown to the ground?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on December 27, 2018, 05:57:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2018, 04:31:32 PM

How many dead cats have you thrown to the ground?
Zero.

Barrister

"dead cat bounce" may be my favourite euphemism ever.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on December 27, 2018, 07:43:55 PM
"dead cat bounce" may be my favourite euphemism ever.   :)

Shamelessly using this in a Facebook troll.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Buying puts on Netflix is looking attractive right now.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Because of the price increase, or something else?

Habbaku

I actually think the price increase is a good thing for them. Their subscriber base seems, to me, pretty resilient to increases due to the perceived value. Increasing like they are shores up their revenue position a lot.

Mostly, though, I think the stock is horribly inflated. For a supposed growth stock, it's getting long in the tooth. I don't see their ability to expand much further into areas they're targeting (India), for instance. Then again, their floating threat to start policing multiple log-ins on the same account might actually give them even more subscribers.

I'm not going to pull the trigger, but I am going to see what things are like in a few hours for a sick thrill.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Monoriu on December 25, 2018, 05:53:13 PM
I am extremely happy when interest rates go up  :showoff:

Ha, it depends on what one is investing in - real estate guys tend to hate it...
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr