Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Slightly better GDP result for the UK than expected, and I see my shares dip a bit. Weird. Oh well, I'll eventually get used to not checking them daily.  :D

Admiral Yi

I believe the story is the GDP number raises the possibility of an interest rate hike, thus depressing stocks.

Why not check every day?  I do.  It's like watching gold fish in a tank.  :)

Admiral Yi

Oh, and don't forget to turn on dividend reinvestment, if that's a thing for youse guys, which I assume it is.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2017, 04:03:55 AM
I believe the story is the GDP number raises the possibility of an interest rate hike, thus depressing stocks.

Why not check every day?  I do.  It's like watching gold fish in a tank.  :)

Well, I am just worried my gambling instinct get triggered. :) But yeah its fun. Will be more fun when I have some meaningful amount of money there in a couple of years.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2017, 04:04:56 AM
Oh, and don't forget to turn on dividend reinvestment, if that's a thing for youse guys, which I assume it is.

Thanks! I have checked, looks like they are working on implementing it. I will have ridiculously meagre dividends for a while so I can wait.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2017, 03:50:02 AM
Slightly better GDP result for the UK than expected, and I see my shares dip a bit. Weird. Oh well, I'll eventually get used to not checking them daily.  :D

The Tamas Effect

Lloyds just issued some good Q3 results and interest rates are likely to rise (also deemed good for the bank) but the shares fall  :hmm:

What has changed in the past few days  :hmm: ???

Tamas

Admiral Yi

I'm looking around for some cap gains to dump to offset this dog of a stock I had that got bought out by the Eyetalians, but all my big winners are in my IRA.  :(

Tamas

Why would Lloyds fall right after the rate hike decision?

Camerus

One possibility is that stocks, especially in a market that may be overpriced, can become relatively less attractive to bonds if bond yields become higher. This is especially true for dividend stocks.

Admiral Yi

Thinking about putting the 2018 IRA money into Tencent.  Any thoughts?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2017, 07:03:34 PM
Thinking about putting the 2018 IRA money into Tencent.  Any thoughts?

Go for whoever make Armalites.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Parent company Strategic Armory Corporation is privately held afaict mongers. :nerd:

Admiral Yi

I might have access to CBE.  I wanna short bitcoin.  Anyone traded futures before?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2017, 12:22:55 AM
I might have access to CBE.  I wanna short bitcoin.  Anyone traded futures before?
You're asking the wrong crowd.  You need to ask around in the homeless shelter.