E-books. Have you used them?

Started by Alatriste, November 06, 2009, 03:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

What the title says. I'm considering buying one, tough the price is still quite high (about 300 euros) and things like Amazon erasing books from its Kindle readers without warning aren't exactly encouraging.

Anyway, I'm interested in your experiences. Have you used any e-book reader, and which one? Is electronic ink so superior to a conventional screen? Etc, etc...

HisMajestyBOB

I read somewhere that Amazon says it will no longer erase; that really doesn't mean anything, I suppose, but at least they reimburse you if they do.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about these things, too. I'd like to get one so I can get more English language books than are available here. International e-book readers preferred.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DisturbedPervert

These things seem really expensive for a device to display text

Syt

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 06, 2009, 04:39:51 AM
These things seem really expensive for a device to display text

That's my thinking at this point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I believe Joan has the Kindle. I posted before that my mother loves hers but I can't really get into it. I like realy books.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: Alatriste on November 06, 2009, 03:09:41 AM
Have you used any e-book reader, and which one? Is electronic ink so superior to a conventional screen? Etc, etc...

I have converted to the iPod Kindle application for all of my book needs (or at least all that Amazon offers).  The Kindle application (and also the Barnes and Noble equivalent, and Stanza, useful for Baen works) are all free to download, and the iPod (or iPhone) have other useful features.

I like it a lot.  2 killer features:

1) Instant gratification.  From "I might like X" to "I can read X" can be a 5-minute process.
2) Storage.  No need to find a free spot on the bookcase anymore (which is good, because I don't have any free spots).

DisturbedPervert

Amazon is releasing a free program for the PC to read Kindle books soon.  You could get a netbook for the price of a Kindle and use that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on November 06, 2009, 09:44:40 AM

2) Storage.  No need to find a free spot on the bookcase anymore (which is good, because I don't have any free spots).

I'm down to culling books and dumping them in a storage unit.  :Embarrass:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I really like the look of them but I've no intention of being a early adopter and paying big money for a inferior product, I'm gonna wait a few years.
██████
██████
██████

Lucidor

I'm reading a few Mobipocket titles every year in my Nokia phone. Works great for me, but the screen is not optimal. The library lends the e-books for free, though, so it's very convenient.

Monoriu

Actually I have.  We tested out a few e-books and tablet PCs to see which one to recommend to the bosses.  Ultimately we went with the tablet PCs.  Touch screen FTW.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
I really like the look of them but I've no intention of being a early adopter and paying big money for a inferior product, I'm gonna wait a few years.
I think at this point you don't have to worry about being an early adopter. They've been out for several years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2009, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
I think at this point you don't have to worry about being an early adopter. They've been out for several years.

Meh - we're still in the early stages.  It's like the early days of the portable MP3 player, before the iPod.

Which means that Alatriste should be waiting for the apple e-book reader. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2009, 01:52:05 PM
Meh - we're still in the early stages.  It's like the early days of the portable MP3 player, before the iPod.

Which means that Alatriste should be waiting for the apple e-book reader. :P

The Kindle isn't the first e-book reader. There were earlier readers (my mother wanted to give one to me as a gift) that were bulkier and I believe you had to download books to your computer to transfer over or something like that.