News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paperless meetings

Started by Monoriu, October 23, 2009, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 06:39:02 PMOh really?  I thought my LotusNotes password only works on my work computer.  But it is still useless, because I don't even know what my password is.  I use a feature called single signon or something.  I only need to remember my windows password.  That'll unlock some pre-set programme and helps me type out all other passwords automatically.  So I have no idea what my LotusNotes password is.
So did you ever try Lotus Notes with a computer other than your own? If they have single sign on, it might just work on every computer, not just yours. After all, you probably had to login into that meeting room laptop too, no?

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 06:52:37 PMPoint 2 - I'll try if I can get someone to install the office 2000 drop down menus to the paperless meeting laptops.
If you have sufficient rights on your computer, you can just download and install it yourself:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/CE102412891033.aspx

EDIT: Just noticed it costs money, so better try via an admin. ;)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Larch on October 23, 2009, 08:05:53 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 08:04:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM
That doesn't excuse you.

Learn keyboard shortcuts.

Those belong to the dark side of the force.

ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v are the best thing ever. You can do it, Mono, you can...change.

And that works up until you use eMacs or some other program that refuses to use the standard shortcuts. ;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on October 24, 2009, 03:37:30 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 06:39:02 PMOh really?  I thought my LotusNotes password only works on my work computer.  But it is still useless, because I don't even know what my password is.  I use a feature called single signon or something.  I only need to remember my windows password.  That'll unlock some pre-set programme and helps me type out all other passwords automatically.  So I have no idea what my LotusNotes password is.
So did you ever try Lotus Notes with a computer other than your own? If they have single sign on, it might just work on every computer, not just yours. After all, you probably had to login into that meeting room laptop too, no?

At our work we had Lotus Notes ( :bleeding: ). It required setting up your mail account on every computer you logged in on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 24, 2009, 06:53:19 AM
And that works up until you use eMacs or some other program that refuses to use the standard shortcuts. ;)

It does use standard shortcuts... for Unix. :P

Seriously though, I find emacs' religious devotion to "The Unix Way" highly annoying.  Gvim by default conforms to whatever platform its being installed on.

Zanza

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 24, 2009, 06:53:19 AMAnd that works up until you use eMacs or some other program that refuses to use the standard shortcuts. ;)
I suspect that won't be a problem for Mono.  :P

Monoriu

No, I've never tried to log onto Lotus notes on another computer.  In my mind, every computer is a stand alone. 

No, I didn't have to log into that meeting room laptop.  See, we prepared the laptops for use by the higher-ups.  We don't want them to worry about things like login-ids and passwords, so we got that one out of the way before they came in.

Grey Fox

HK seems to have a major security flaw right there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 26, 2009, 06:19:20 AM

Yeah, something like that would be immediately shot down by our IT policies and procedures.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2009, 06:22:22 AM
Yeah, something like that would be immediately shot down by our IT policies and procedures.

To be fair, most of mono's story thus far would be shot down by standard IT policies and practices.  Every place I've worked around a computer, everyone was retrained when software was changed, nonstandard frontends were verbot (for the reason of employees similar to mono whom I've worked with who absolutely refused to learn the new software), and logins are always, always required.  Hell, if I took a bathroom break, I had to log out and log back in.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

If one of my bosses forgets his password or login ID, the only way I can get out of that room is in a coffin.

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on October 27, 2009, 10:56:21 AM

If one of my bosses forgets his password or login ID, the only way I can get out of that room is in a coffin.

Your bosses are worse than mine. In fact, *they* might get fired in such an instance (though a call to the IT helpdesk will solve the issue by resetting the passwords).
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on October 25, 2009, 11:51:15 AM

No, I've never tried to log onto Lotus notes on another computer.  In my mind, every computer is a stand alone. 

No, I didn't have to log into that meeting room laptop.  See, we prepared the laptops for use by the higher-ups.  We don't want them to worry about things like login-ids and passwords, so we got that one out of the way before they came in.

If they can't figure out how to log in, they don't have the skills necessary to do their jobs. Let them look like fools.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers