News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paperless meetings

Started by Monoriu, October 23, 2009, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

So, we recently took Microsoft Sharepoint, made some modifications to it, and presented it to the higher ups as a "solution" to the age old problem of wasting tons of paper due to meetings. 

In order to achieve the goal of saving paper, we completely refitted the meeting room with wireless internet connection (the programme has to be connected to the internet), installed tons of electrical sockets, bought dozens of laptops, paid Microsoft consultancy fees, and so on.  Just before the meeting, I also printed out hardcopies of all meeting documents for each and every meeting participant, just in case.  Yes, most of them wanted hardcopies.

As the first paperless meeting began, I took out a pen and my trusted notepad to take notes.  Which of course was noticed by the chairman, and he ordered me to use more proper means to take notes.  I guess he meant the laptop in front of me. 

My heart plunged hundreds of feet downwards.  I knew the laptop had Office installed on it.  But it was Office 2007.  I also had Office 2007 installed on my work computer.  But I had someone install the Office 2000 tool bar on my machine.  No such tool bar was available on the laptop in front of me. This laptop was not "my" laptop.  It belonged to the meeting room. 

I nervously looked at the top left cornor.  No "File" tab.  I could type all I wanted.  But I couldn't save the file.  Couldn't produce the notes.  In all my years of using Word I've never seen a version without the "File" tab. 

Then I saw the second mountain before me.  I did not bring a USB storage device.  Even if I could wrestle down the Office 2007 interface and somehow save the file in the harddrive, I couldn't get it out. 

I took a deep breath, prayed to the languish god, then typed away.  Without saving.  At the end of the meeting, I took the laptop away without switching it off, raced back to my office, summoned a technician, and told him to save the file then get it out. 

When the technician arrived, the battery had 5% left.   

It was my lucky day.  Now the only thing I had to worry about were frantic phone calls asking me why I stole the laptop. 

Josquius

Typical worldwide 'lets get with the digital age' idiocy is that.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Personally, I love Office 2007. Ganted, I customized the menu bar next to the "Office" button a fair bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 06:36:03 AM
Personally, I love Office 2007. Ganted, I customized the menu bar next to the "Office" button a fair bit.

The only improvement that I noticed was that all my favourite buttons were gone.  Or hidden somewhere.  Is there any reason why they have to turn the file tab into a circle with funny pictograms on it? :mad:

Monoriu

Darth Wagtaros

Office 2007 doesn't allow you to save?  You must be drunk.
PDH!

Monoriu

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 23, 2009, 06:59:41 AM
Office 2007 doesn't allow you to save?  You must be drunk.

There was no file tab.  As far as I am concerned, that is equivalent to not letting me save.  I was responsible for producing the notes on who said what during that meeting.  I could not afford to spend ungod amounts of time to figure out what the file tab turned into, because people were already speaking. 

Darth Wagtaros

QuoteI also had Office 2007 installed on my work computer.

Sounds like you had plenty of time to find it. 

Drives me nuts when people use a program forever and then bitch about not knowing the basic fucking functions.  And saving is pretty freaking basic after typing content in.

You fail at being meeting secretary.
PDH!

Monoriu

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 23, 2009, 07:05:36 AM
QuoteI also had Office 2007 installed on my work computer.

Sounds like you had plenty of time to find it. 

Drives me nuts when people use a program forever and then bitch about not knowing the basic fucking functions.  And saving is pretty freaking basic after typing content in.

You fail at being meeting secretary.

As I said, I had someone install the Office 2000 interface on top of Office 2007 on my work computer  :P

Grey Fox

That doesn't excuse you.

Learn keyboard shortcuts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 06:36:03 AM

The only improvement that I noticed was that all my favourite buttons were gone.  Or hidden somewhere.  Is there any reason why they have to turn the file tab into a circle with funny pictograms on it? :mad:

Ease of use. YOU PUSH THE BIG BUTTON.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM
That doesn't excuse you.

Those belong to the dark side of the force.

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 08:04:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM
That doesn't excuse you.

Those belong to the dark side of the force.

ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v are the best thing ever. You can do it, Mono, you can...change.

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 02:35:01 AM
When the technician arrived, the battery had 5% left.

And even if it had finished, you wouldn't have lost the document anyway.