Family Guy to schill for Windows 7

Started by Barrister, October 14, 2009, 04:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteMicrosoft and FOX One have announced a marketing collaboration that will see Windows 7 in a new special with the working title "Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show" airing Sunday, November 8, at 8:30pm EST and PST. It will star Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show as well as his Family Guy co-star Alex Borstein (voice of the series' Lois character).

There will be no commercial ad time, no network promotions, and no commercial breaks—just a 30-minute Windows 7 trailer that somehow attempts to blend the operating system with show content in the style of the old Texaco Star Theater. MacFarlane and Borstein have teamed with Windows advertising agencies Universal McCann and Crispin, Porter + Bogusky to develop, write, and produce the half-hour special that will highlight the comedy duo's humor with original animation, live-action performances of Family Guy's most memorable musical numbers, comedy sketches, and surprise celebrity guests.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/10/sneak-peek-family-guy-meets-windows-7.ars

:huh:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

PRC

Eddie Teach

I don't think there's anything Peter Griffin wouldn't shill, given a couple dollars to do so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

BuddhaRhubarb

I'll download it and watch it on my mac.
:p

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

In related news, I installed my copy of (32 bit) Win7 Ultimate last night.  Took the lazy route & did an upgrade install (rather than fresh install, which I plan to do later).  Easiest Windows installation ever.  When it booted up for the first time this morning, the only thing I had to do (so far) was re-map the folder I use for transferred Tivo recordings.  Haven't had time to do much else with it (stupid work).

I had not run the Win7 beta or RC on my main machine, so I was a little worried as to how this aging PC would handle it.  So far it runs faster than Vista.  I plan to install the 64-bit version on my next system build, whenever that happens. 

Oddly enough, both the 64-bit & 32-bit versions share the same activation key.  When I got my free copy of Vista Ultimate, the 2 discs came packaged independently & had different keys.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I gots my Home Premium, but I'm going to hold off on installing it until I back up my shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Ok, since this thread's not dead yet:  spellcheck, it is your friend.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shill

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on October 15, 2009, 10:25:11 AM
Ok, since this thread's not dead yet:  spellcheck, it is your friend.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shill

Hilarious. Beeb spelling nazi'ed my thread in the Back Room.

Beeb, you are a homofaggit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2009, 10:22:31 AM
I gots my Home Premium, but I'm going to hold off on installing it until I back up my shit.

I did an image backup over the weekend :goodboy:

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2009, 10:19:00 AM
Oddly enough, both the 64-bit & 32-bit versions share the same activation key.  When I got my free copy of Vista Ultimate, the 2 discs came packaged independently & had different keys.
:huh: Weird.  I got Vista 32-bit retail.  I then had to send away for 64-bit, which was free aside from shipping costs.  But my 64-bit software didn't come with an activation key at all--the packaging directs you to use the key that comes with your 32-bit package.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

That reminds me... Since Toshiba was cheap and stuck 32-bit Vista on here, my free upgrade is specifically to 32-bit Windows 7; any of you guys know how I could switch up to 64-bit cheaply?  I want more RAM and full use of my Athlon X2 64, dammit. <_<
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 08:47:02 AM
That reminds me... Since Toshiba was cheap and stuck 32-bit Vista on here, my free upgrade is specifically to 32-bit Windows 7; any of you guys know how I could switch up to 64-bit cheaply?  I want more RAM and full use of my Athlon X2 64, dammit. <_<

Assuming they don't send you both discs, it should be as simple as getting a hold of someone's 64-bit install disc.  I don't think MS cares if you upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

FWIW, the Amazon item description for the Win7 upgrade version I have pre-ordered lists the item as being 32-bit and 64-bit (i.e., both discs).  I would assume they're doing the same across the board at least for retail, rather than packaging 32 & 64 bit versions separately.

Barrister

Guys, what is the cheapest way to get a copy of Win 7?  Ideally I'd like 2, to install on my Mac (so as to be able to access all of my 10GB of RAM), and to do a fresh install on my laptop (can't find, or never received, the install copy).

Or, alternatively, once I install Win 7 on my Mac, could I take the XP install disk that I had previously used on the Mac, and then use it on the laptop? 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.