Please advise on this lappy

Started by Syt, October 12, 2009, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Just in time, we'll be afforded an advance of our year bonus, plus I've received some vouchers as award, so I can burn ca. 600 EUR on a new computer.

After my recent rather not so happy experience with desktop PCs, I'm looking at laptops.

I'm mostly looking for a system that:
- plays my strategy games (Matrix, AGEOD, OOTP, Civ4, ...) and the occasional action game or Bioware product (though I can use the Xbox360 for that if need be)
- plays videos and music
- runs mid level gfx apps
- is useful for surfing the internet (YouTube, hulu, etc.)

I'm looking at the following system which seems to get favorable user reviews:

MSI Megabook EX623GS-3443VHP

Pentium Dual-Core T3400 2x 2.16GHz • 4096MB (2x 2048MB) • 320GB HD • DVD+/-RW DL • NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS 512MB • 3x USB 2.0/Firewire/Modem/Gb LAN/WLAN 802.11bgn/eSATA • HDMI • ExpressCard Slot • 3in1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS) • Webcam (2.0 Megapixel) • 16" WXGA glare TFT (1366x768) • Windows Vista Home Premium

... for 590 EUR from a local supplier (620 at Amazon.de - I could claim 75 EUR in vouchers there)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

... I take it that there are neither strong objections nor endorsements for this, then? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I couldn't get past "please advise" which caused me to be ill.  Our outsourcing partners always end lengthy e-mails with "Please advise on these issues." :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I don't think a lot of people are well-versed in laptop specs here.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2009, 12:21:10 AM
I couldn't get past "please advise" which caused me to be ill.  Our outsourcing partners always end lengthy e-mails with "Please advise on these issues." :(

I guess I inherited it from the emails I get every day.  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2009, 12:16:11 AM
... I take it that there are neither strong objections nor endorsements for this, then? :unsure:

Not particularly familiar with MSI laptopts; I will tell you, though, that biggest culprits in laptop issues are HDD, optical drive, and wireless- GFX cards are usually custom-built and tested to the laptop manufacturer's specs, so GFX issues in a laptop shouldn't be that common.  If you're not seeing a lot of common reviews that are bitching and moaning about one of those specific kinds of issues, odds are that you're pretty safe.  T3400's a fairly common CPU in laptops, so it seems to have stood up to some standards of stability now.
Experience bij!

Zanza

I think the CPU is really, really old.

Barrister

I have a vague impression that laptop seems expensive, but that's based solely on translating Euro into Canadian dollars, and doesn't reflect what electronics cost over there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

I found it hard to find anything more current, cpu wise (e.g. a quad core), and if one was available the price went through the roof. However, the user reviews I see around the web are favorable.

Beeb, 600 EUR is an average price for a lower mid range PC/laptop over here. I get two years' manufacturer's warranty on it (provided I don't open the case).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

That chip is less than 3 years old and in the "current" generation for laptops, since no Nehalem-based laptops have been released yet (and probably won't until a mobile version is released).

MadBurgerMaker

Isn't there a thing going on where you get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when you purchase certain versions of Vista?  Does that apply to new computers?  It's not a US only thing is it?

Might be worth it to see if you're eligible for that with this laptop here, Syt.  Damn posting is irritating with the phone.

Caliga

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 14, 2009, 08:40:53 AM
Isn't there a thing going on where you get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when you purchase certain versions of Vista?  Does that apply to new computers?  It's not a US only thing is it?
Yes, yes, dunno.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Might be worth it to see if you're eligible for that with this laptop here, Syt.  Damn posting is irritating with the phone.

Yeah.  Home Premium on up to Ultimate; Home Basic isn't eligible.  The manufacturer has to be participating, and the computer has to be purchased between June 2009 and January 2010.  Also, a quick check of Microsoft's website says that MSI is participating for Germany.
Experience bij!

Syt

I am. Home Premium.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2009, 12:37:54 AM
I am. Home Premium.

:cheers: So how long do you have to wait for yours?  Our release copies are supposed to ship on or around October 22; same for you Euros?
Experience bij!