Main Menu

Requiring pc vista help.

Started by Syt, October 04, 2009, 12:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 04, 2009, 08:16:44 PM
Incorrect Shamesy.  In.Core.Ekt.

I didn't say "helpful progress." Just that it'd be easier to spot right away that there's been movement in a PC thread, even if it's just Raz talking about roadkill.
The idea ofa  subforum is a movement.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 04, 2009, 03:03:34 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2009, 01:21:33 PM
Well, trying to run the vista installer from dvd nets the same redult. Great. "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I'm just glad that most of my important files are on a different drive.
Bastards.

If you really want to keep the setup you could try making an image of the drive and putting it on the replacement.  It may or may not work depending on how much file corruption has resulted from the drive's death throws.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure how well it would work, though, as it has two partitions - one for the OS, one for the software.

Most annoying will be that I'll lose savegames, a number of maps I was working on, and possibly some activations on some games if their DRM decides changing a HD is a major change.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Anyways, I just ordered two new Samsung HDs (one for OS, one for software - no fan of partitioning) to replace the broken Hitachi one. Had a couple Samsungs before and never had any problems with them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Threviel

This reminds me, whatever happened to the "Need help Mac OSX"-thread?

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on October 04, 2009, 10:46:53 PM
No subfora needed people :rolleyes:

Fatmai is oppressing the whites again. Just like Santa Ana.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I don't dislike the subforum idea for this but I don't think we currently have enough such traffic to justify.  "Help me with my PC" threads are not a daily occurrence, like emo whining threads and "LOL map sux" threads are. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2009, 10:54:02 PM
Anyways, I just ordered two new Samsung HDs (one for OS, one for software - no fan of partitioning) to replace the broken Hitachi one. Had a couple Samsungs before and never had any problems with them.
Interesting, because I partition the hell out of my drives, and never had any luck with Samsung drives!  :lol:

It just shows to go you that different folks have different strokes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

UPDATE:

I tried booting from Vista DVD with only one of my two HDs connected and I get the pagefile error with *either*. Could it be that both hard disks crapped out at the same time?

:unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2009, 01:47:45 PM
UPDATE:

I tried booting from Vista DVD with only one of my two HDs connected and I get the pagefile error with *either*. Could it be that both hard disks crapped out at the same time?

:unsure:

Actually, that sounds more like OS corruption; can you run SFC and maybe link a copy of the CBS log that it generates?
Experience bij!

Syt

I did that before I got stuck on a black, empty desktop (what an allegory for my life). The black desktop appears without Win load bar or welcome screen. I get stuck there both in normal boot and in secure mode.

Trying to boot from Vista install DVD gets me to the welcome screen but dies in a blue screen, no matter which hd is connected.

I also tried each RAM stick seperately and reverted to BIOS failsafe settings.

:(
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

What do you do when you boot from Windosws DVD?

Syt

I set BIOS to boot from DVD first and pop the disk into the drive. During startup it requests to press any key to start from disk. Windows ascii load bar fills up, then switches to normal graphical loading bar. An empty default desktop with hourglass cursor appears before reverting to bluescreen a second or two later.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2009, 02:15:14 PM
I set BIOS to boot from DVD first and pop the disk into the drive. During startup it requests to press any key to start from disk. Windows ascii load bar fills up, then switches to normal graphical loading bar. An empty default desktop with hourglass cursor appears before reverting to bluescreen a second or two later.
Interesting.  Can you get to the Windows setup screen, or does it crap out before that?

Syt

P. S.: Trying to start from HD the startup stops at a blinking cursor before the moment it would tell me the last boot failed and whether I'd like to boot up in secure mode.
—Stephen Jay Gould