Computer monitor question "Out of frequency range"

Started by Razgovory, October 02, 2009, 12:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

When I update my video cards drivers (and try to play certain games) I get an odd message.  "out of frequency range".  I suspect this means I need a new monitor.  I plan to get one this weekend.  Before I do am I right on this theory?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 12:51:14 PM
When I update my video cards drivers (and try to play certain games) I get an odd message.  "out of frequency range".  I suspect this means I need a new monitor.  I plan to get one this weekend.  Before I do am I right on this theory?

Well, you either need a new monitor or to make sure that your video card isn't going to a resolution / frequency your monitor can't support.  You could potentially change the settings for those games and fix your problem that way.

grumbler

I'd be surprised if the games set an update frequency, though.

I think it is likelier that the video drivers have the wrong monitor installed.  If the monitor is "default monitor" see if you can find you monitor's name among the monitors listed in the software.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

It is a pretty old monitor... Only two games have given me the problem (left 4 Dead and Some RTS game I don't remember).  The big thing is I can't update the video driver.   I don't want to mess with the drivers at all know cause last time I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall them from the disk to get it working.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2009, 01:08:25 PM
I'd be surprised if the games set an update frequency, though.

Most likely not, but the resolution they want at even the current update frequency is likely to be more than the monitor can handle.

Darth Wagtaros

Ever see that movie Pulse?
Try the drivers.  Be the ball.
PDH!

derspiess

I only get that on my monitors when my PC boots up.

Monitors are so cheap these days you might as well go ahead & upgrade rather than chase your tail trying to fix the problem.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

derspiess

Yuppers.  You can find them 17" & up for less than $100.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Just got a Gateway 24" 16x10 for about $160 from NewEgg.  Fabulous monitor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2009, 07:57:32 PM
Just got a Gateway 24" 16x10 for about $160 from NewEgg.  Fabulous monitor.
That's a great price. Prices have come down a lot. I paid a lot more for mine.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on October 02, 2009, 08:29:25 PM
That's a great price. Prices have come down a lot. I paid a lot more for mine.
Wow, yeah- My 19" (4:3) was going for almost $200 when I got it; thankfully, it was on sale.
Experience bij!