News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

New Dream Theater album was on my desk when I got home.  :cool:

Let's see what the post-Portnoy era sounds like...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Jimmy Buffett--Cheeseburger in Paradise.

STFU.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2011, 11:44:10 PM
Jimmy Buffett--Cheeseburger in Paradise.

STFU.

Wow.  Just like my mom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

:lol:

I went to a concert last night at Slim's in SF. Kamelot. Opening acts The Agonist, Blackguard, Alestorm. Kind of a thing for my birthday.

The Agonist: Sort of a gothy metal band with one growler and a chick singer...who also growls. Meh. The chick seemed like she could sing well, but her mike was too low for me to hear her. Plus, she growled too, so whatever kind of voice she has now won't last long doing that. I have never heard of them before yesterday. They didn't seem totally untalented behind the growling, but I didn't really like their set. It's possible they sound a little better on recording, but I'm too lazy to look.

Blackguard: These asshats from Montreal I have seen before. A few months ago when I went to a Symphony X show (who rocked). They are a growly speed metal band--again, not untalented musicians, but they know one speed and do one thing. And it's not my thing. I was disappointed to see them on the schedule. I'd rather see something I've never seen before but at least has a chance to be good than something I know I won't be into. Like the previous time I saw them I also saw that band PowerGlove (yes, named after the Nintendo controller), which was a lot of fun.

Alestorm: This band comes from Scotland and Northern Ireland. The singer is clearly one of the NI guys, judging from his accent. They do metal about drinking and piracy. It's like the Irish metal pirate rovers. Frankly, I was thoroughly entertained. I like the Irish Rovers doing pub songs and this was basically that turned up to eleven. No ninjas allowed.

Kamelot: Well well, what do I say? When I bought the tickets for this show, singer Roy Khan had not yet left the band officially. When I found out about it, I figured I'd go anyway, what the hell. You probably don't know, but he is easily one of the best metal singers ever, and it was around the time he joined the band that they really became good, IMO. It's like Maiden without Bruce. There are rumors that he found God and decided metal wasn't christian enough. Imagine that. A band full of a bunch of guys from Florida, and one Norwegian, and it's the bloody viking who decides to quit for Jesus. Damn Eurofundies. But truth be told, the man has incredible talent. I would have a hard time definitively calling any of the top-tier singers in the genre better than him. Or even the best opera singers. Whatever. He's a nun now. What a fucking shame.
    The guy replacing him for the tour was an Italian guy with the hopelessly stereotypical name of Fabio Lione. He's from a band called Rhapsody of Fire. He did a good job, but he was no substitute. Still, the show was good. The Florida guys all still kick ass. Keyboardist Oliver Pelotai's girlfriend Simone Simmons (from Epica) is apparently traveling with them and did her parts on all the songs she guest-recorded with Kamelot. She's awesome. And hott.
    So, still fun. Decent show. Hell, I'd go see Barney on Ice if my wife would dress like she did last night...

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

I went to a metal show last year.  Awful music, but it was fun to mix it up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

David Bowie--Neighborhood Threat.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2011, 01:42:38 AM
:lol:

I went to a concert last night at Slim's in SF. Kamelot. Opening acts The Agonist, Blackguard, Alestorm. Kind of a thing for my birthday.

The Agonist: Sort of a gothy metal band with one growler and a chick singer...who also growls. Meh. The chick seemed like she could sing well, but her mike was too low for me to hear her. Plus, she growled too, so whatever kind of voice she has now won't last long doing that. I have never heard of them before yesterday. They didn't seem totally untalented behind the growling, but I didn't really like their set. It's possible they sound a little better on recording, but I'm too lazy to look.

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/web-redemption---the-heavy-metal-club

?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Iron Maiden- Alexander the Great

Guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the comments are full of Greek-tards saying that Macedonia is not really Macedonia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Eddie Teach

Toby Keith- Should've been a Cowboy
George Strait- I Can Still Make Cheyenne
Jo Dee Messina- Heads Carolina, Tails California
Sammy Kershaw- Third Rate Romance
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM