News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum

While Hendrix, Cream, and Iron Butterfly had previously experimented with a heavier sound; Blue Cheer had a secret weapon, their amplifiers went up to eleven. 

Both a pioneer of heavy metal and noise rock Blue Cheer (named after a variety of LSD, which in turn was named after a laundry detergent) if not one of the greatest, was certainly one of the loudest bands of the 60s.  They're like the early incarnation of Black Sabbath (though much more talented musicians) in that they're essentially a blues band with a really heavy sound (going so far as to do metal versions of Mose Allison's "Parchment Farm" and the blues standard "Rock me Baby.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2020, 02:35:12 PM
ESP is an earlier album by the same quintet but a little less ambitious and more listener friendly.  One of my favorite Miles albums.

I'll put that on the list.  I see it was released a couple weeks after "A Love Supreme." 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul

Bigger, bolder and more soulful than "I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You."  This one has so many great songs on it ("Chain of Fools", "You Make Me Feel Like an Natural Woman" and "Sweet Sweet Baby Since You've Been Gone" are the singles); yet it's hard to overlook her cover the Young Rascal's "Groovin."  Her version isn't terrible; but it's definitely not the right song for the Queen of Soul.

Admiral Yi

I was surprised to learn The Rascals got into the R&R HoF.  Seems like a pretty thin play list, with biggest hit being a cover, though I guess they could have tons of great stuff I've just never heard of.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2020, 10:43:34 AM
I was surprised to learn The Rascals got into the R&R HoF.  Seems like a pretty thin play list, with biggest hit being a cover, though I guess they could have tons of great stuff I've just never heard of.

They wrote "Groovin'", did they have a bigger hit than that?  :unsure:

The album "Groovin'" is good throughout, but I really don't know anything else about The Rascals other than that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on January 16, 2020, 11:01:44 AM

I kind of made that up.  I think Good Love is a much better song, don't really know if it charted higher or longer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2020, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 16, 2020, 11:01:44 AM

I kind of made that up.  I think Good Love is a much better song, don't really know if it charted higher or longer.

Ah, I had forgotten about "Good Lovin'".  I see from Wikipedia they were both #1 hits; but I don't know which one sold more.

Savonarola

Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1968)

Brilliant, strange and undoubtedly the best album about New Orleans ever to come out of Los Angeles.  Mac Rebennack was struggling in his new city until he got a number of other New Orleans exiles together, adopted the persona of a voodoo priest and made an album that sounded like it came straight out of a voodoo ceremony in the swamp.  It was a perfect concept at the height of psychedelia.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (1968)

No Warhol; no Nico and no holds barred - this is the VU at their rudest, rawest and loudest.  The album opens with an ode to amphetamines and ends with a seventeen minutes of noise rock jam about a failed drag queen orgy.

There's one song, The Gift, that does remind me of Andy Warhol.  The band jams on the right speaker channel, while on the left John Cale narrates a shaggy dog story about a man who decides to mail himself to his girlfriend.  That reminded me of "The Chelsea Girls" (1966) which is done in split screen, with Nico on one side and the "Story" playing out on the other.

The Brain

Eminem's new is the album of the decade so far IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Blood, Sweat and Tears - Child Is Father to the Man (1968)

It's too bad there's not a Grammy for creepiest album cover, BST would have cleaned up in 1968:

;)

Al Kooper may not have been the most credible blues singers ever; but he did put together quite a band (briefly.)  Folk, soul, blues and jazz all come together in a post Sgt. Pepper's world where it seemed like anything in music was possible.

PDH

Gary Numan - She's Got Claws.    From a time period where the synths were toned down and the fretless bass and sax took up a larger role.  The album, Dance, was never too big in the US (Where is another "Cars"?)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Flying Stars Of Brooklyn, NY - My God Has A Telephone
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.