Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2019, 07:44:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2019, 03:50:59 PM
RIP Ginger Baker.  :(

I'll go and find some cream to listen too.

Think I once heard him playing for Hawkwind.  :bowler:

Played Blind Faith's album.

Good choice.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Ginger Baker's Air Force, Air Force 2 (1971)

British Afro-funk with some west African influences.  Ends up sounding more dated than Baker's earlier and more conventional work with Cream and Blind Faith.  Good musicianship though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Ginger Baker Trio, Going Back Home (1994)

This is more a Bill Frisell album marketed under Ginger Baker's name, although Baker does contribute 3 originals. An English blues-rock drummer is not an obvious match for Frisell's eclectic mix of musical Americana, but in the context of the album it works pretty well, with Baker providing some propulsive energy to Frisell's laid-back style.  Charlie Haden is outstanding on bass and also supplies 4 songs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2019, 09:53:01 AM
Ginger Baker Trio, Going Back Home (1994)

This is more a Bill Frisell album marketed under Ginger Baker's name, although Baker does contribute 3 originals. An English blues-rock drummer is not an obvious match for Frisell's eclectic mix of musical Americana, but in the context of the album it works pretty well, with Baker providing some propulsive energy to Frisell's laid-back style. Charlie Haden is outstanding on bass and also supplies 4 songs.

That's a good take on Baker's playing, if you're adventurous and want to hear an unusual example, try listening to his contribution to the Hawkwind album 'Levitation' .The drive and tightness he instilled probably makes it their best album.  :bowler:

Syt

Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

With visualization similar to Guitar Hero (watch it, you'll see what I mean).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqOKq0M6ho

Gave me additional appreciation for the dexterity/coordination and practice required to play pieces like this. :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

That's pretty cool.  I thought he was going to miss some of those left pinky shots.

PDH

Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy

One of my go to songs.  So melodic, so weird, so nerdy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2019, 09:18:52 PM
Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy

One of my go to songs.  So melodic, so weird, so nerdy.

:cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2019, 03:45:17 PM

Gave me additional appreciation for the dexterity/coordination and practice required to play pieces like this. :o

That was really cool.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2019, 03:45:17 PM

Man it makes me happy over 2 million people are subbed to a channel like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2019, 01:10:55 PM
Myrath - Tales of the Sands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4g4ZbQ6QQ
Metal band from Tunisia  :osama:
Heh with the spread of themed metal bands, they should invite (for example) Turkish and Germanic bands to a venue and hold a concert as a kind of crusade.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

In 2013, an Israeli and a Palestinian band were touring together through Europe, so ...
—Stephen Jay Gould