News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 04, 2022, 07:11:27 AM

I never listened to him much. I only know him from his live  work with Pink Floyd and his one big single, Birds of Paradise.

Exactly the same here, though I keep meaning to check out his albums, but never get around to it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Listening to the Irish Rover as sung by the Dubliners and the Pogues.

Savonarola

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (1968)

I see a critic from Blender described this as a proto-ambient masterpiece (and he meant that as a compliment.)  This is the beginning of Davis's electric period.  It doesn't really sound by like a precursor to Brian Eno's solo music; it sounds more like a low-key Bitches Brew (Davis's next album.)  It's certainly more accessible (and much shorter) than Bitches Brew.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Gaijin de Moscu

I'm listening to the sound of my fireplace and my dog gnawing on a piece of wood.

So peaceful.

Malthus

The Hu - Wolf Totem. My son likes to lift weights to this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2022, 08:01:44 PM
The Hu - Wolf Totem. My son likes to lift weights to this.

Can't believe a band can get away calling themselves The Hu
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on January 07, 2022, 02:45:35 PM
  It doesn't really sound by like a precursor to Brian Eno's solo music

No that claim makes no sense for In a Silent Way.  There was a lot of music around that time that was trying to bridge the gap between bop and rock using a "chill" vibe - the first Charles Lloyd quartet comes to mind with Dream Weaver and Forest Flower.  ECM was founded in 69/70 and focused heavily on this style.

The proto-ambient claim could have made for more sense applied to On the Corner, which originally was conceived as blend of Stockhausen with a funk beat except it didn't quite turn out as planned. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The  Weeknd - Dawn FM (album)

Lovely faux-80s vibes though I'm not sure on my first listen that I can recall any specific song lyrics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Since you people are a sophisticated bunch, has anyone here tried Idagio? It brands itself as the go to place for streaming classical music. Spotify has a lot, of course, but sorting through it is woefully painful, because e.g. "Artist" for a symphony might list the composer, or the orchestra, or the conductor and there is no consistency between how the various distributors maintain their libraries on there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

It's true that the conventional streaming services make a mess of indexing Western concert music.  That said, with experience it's usually not hard to find what you are looking for (if you know what you are looking for).  the service looks intriguing, but it would mean carrying another full price streaming app.  I don't think the economics work unless that's the only music you listen to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2021, 07:02:53 AM
Eskimo Callboy have released a new video and it returns to the 80s stylings of their Hypa Hypa clip: https://youtu.be/OnzkhQsmSag

I don't think it's quite as catchy as some of their other recent songs (Hypa Hypa, We got the moves, Love/Hate), but I did get somewhat extracted by the visuals.  :blush: :perv:

And they recorded an acoustic ballad version of the song, too.  :lol:

https://youtu.be/e3Gy9bylFOo
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

I was reading an anthology of poetry and came across the following from the Elizabethan poet Thomas Dekker:

QuoteGolden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise ;
Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby,
Rock them, rock them, lullaby.

Care is heavy, therefore sleep you,
You are care, and care must keep you ;
Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby,
Rock them, rock them, lullaby.

I didn't know that's where Paul McCartney cribbed those lyrics from.  (The anthology was from 1941 almost 30 years before Abbey Road.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Gaijin de Moscu

I'm listening to a lecture on the nature of good and evil by an Orthodox Christian theologian.

:ph34r:

Syt

New excellent video by Indian metal band Bloodywood, Aaj (Today).

Great energy, and a the lyrics a great motivational pick-me-up.  :cool:

https://youtu.be/kgvH6tX4Ej0

They previously released the Gaddaar, another (angrier) banger that criticized the corrupt and divisive politics in India:

https://youtu.be/7iKjSCTxke8

Can't wait for their album to come out next month. They're in Vienna in March, and I would very much love to see them live, Corona permitting.  :)

They're often labeled "folk" metal because they incorporate Indian instruments and stylistic elements, but they sounds too "modern" to be "truly" folk metal IMHO. Wiki lists them as folk and nu metal, and sure, they have a melodic vocalist who does the Hindi lyrics, and a more rap-ish singer who does the English lyrics, I feel it does them a disservice considering how maligned the genre generally is.
—Stephen Jay Gould