News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Just heard this, a Polaris prize finalist.  I don't know what she is singing, but man does she sound good singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gJLi5uVHQ

The Minsky Moment

Paul Desmond, Like Someone in Love (1976)

Desmond - best known as the horn in the Dave Brubeck quartet - is a bit too quiet and well-mannered for my taste.  That said he does play very well here in this series of takes from a 1975 club date in Toronto.  Sadly Canada does not punch over its weight in jazz as it does in comedy, but Desmond is backed by a local rhythm section that complements his style and plays more than competently.  Especially notable is Torontonian guitarist Ed Bickert, a local legend who coaxes a beautiful tone from his Fender Telecaster, an instrument that back then was very rarely used in jazz groups (Bill Frisell and others influenced by him use them now).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Leonard Cohen - Songs from a Room (1969)

There is greater instrumentation than on Songs of Leonard Cohen (including the Jew's harp); but there's nothing that really stands out like "Suzanne" or "So Long, Marianne" did on his first album.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on October 05, 2021, 04:02:34 PM
Leonard Cohen - Songs from a Room (1969)

There is greater instrumentation than on Songs of Leonard Cohen (including the Jew's harp); but there's nothing that really stands out like "Suzanne" or "So Long, Marianne" did on his first album.

Bird on a Wire has had a pretty wide uptake, I think.

Personally the Partisan and the Story of Isaac are the stand out tracks to me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Nonagon Infinity - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. I'm enjoying this a lot! The songs form a continuous loop, which is kinda cool; more importantly, they rock very hard for what is I suppose a prog band (more or less). I particularly liked "evil death roll".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on October 11, 2021, 01:10:59 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians/Bonne Fête de l'Action de Grâce, Habitants:

Watch the Ohio State Marching Band's Incredible Halftime Salute to Rush

+1 for a proper translation of Thanksgiving.  :thumbsup:

Savonarola

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline (1969)

Bob Dylan sings! :o :o :o

Bob Dylan's croon rather than his usual nasally voice must have been quite a shock in 1969 (although you can sort of hear it on John Wesley Harding especially on "Be My Baby Tonight.")  This was certainly not the first country rock album or by no means the best (it pales in comparison to The Byrd's "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"); but those earlier albums didn't have Johnny Cash singing on them.  Kris Kristofferson cited this as enormous influence on him and his generation of country music singers.  It's not my favorite Dylan album, it lacks his usual wordplay and other people did Country Rock much better than he did, but it has its moments; especially "Lay Lady Lay" and "Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You".

At a quick glance the record cover, when shrunk down on Amazon Music, looks like the play sign with the way Dylan's head an arm make an equilateral triangle.

Savonarola

Arlo Guthrie - Running Down the Road

Arlo does not croon on this album.   

;)

The songs are better than the second side of Alice's Restaurant; but there's nothing as engaging as the song "Alice's Restaurant."  "Coming into Los Angeles" is the big hit off of this one (aided by its appearance in the Woodstock Movie; but its still a great song.)  Most everythign else is much more folky than that; for instance he does a decent version of his father's "Oklahoma Hills."

Savonarola

The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream (1969)

The magnificent Moodies were finally not under the gun to turn out an album; and so were free to explore their musical ideas.  While the results are similar to Days of Future Passed and In Search of the Lost Chord (poppy radio friendly songs, mixed with longer experimental pieces and goofy poems sprinkled throughout) the experimental pieces are much more sophisticated and ambitious than their previous efforts.  The Dream which makes up the entire second side of the album was their best extended piece to date (and arguably the best in their career.)

Unfortunately there's no stand out single on the first side (although The Four Tops would go on to cover "Deep Within You.")  The album was number 1 in the UK and number 20 in the US; but none of the singles charted very high in either country.

Savonarola

Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago Transit Authority (1969)

They'd be Chicago on their next album (and their next album would be Chicago, but the one after that would be Chicago III.)  Like most of Chicago's 70s work this is a blues/jazz/rock fusion and goes from shorter radio-friendly hits to lo-o-o-ong jams.  Sometimes it does get a little avant-garde (my wife thought they were trying to do whale songs on their final jam), but all round it's a fine album; remarkable that it's both a debut album and a double album.

Josephus

David Gilmour's 1978 debut solo album.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011