News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Brotzman's not really my bag, but if you're up for avant stuff like that, try Henry Threadgill, he's done lots of interesting things over the years, including a band called "Air", his "Sextett" and another band called "Zooid"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Nine Inch Nails release new music. For free.

https://www.nin.com/

QuoteFRIENDS-

WEIRD TIMES INDEED...

AS THE NEWS SEEMS TO TURN EVER MORE GRIM BY THE HOUR, WE'VE FOUND OURSELVES VACILLATING WILDLY BETWEEN FEELING LIKE THERE MAY BE HOPE AT TIMES TO UTTER DESPAIR – OFTEN CHANGING MINUTE TO MINUTE. ALTHOUGH EACH OF US DEFINE OURSELVES AS ANTISOCIAL-TYPES WHO PREFER BEING ON OUR OWN, THIS SITUATION HAS REALLY MADE US APPRECIATE THE POWER AND NEED FOR CONNECTION.

MUSIC – WHETHER LISTENING TO IT, THINKING ABOUT IT OR CREATING IT – HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE THING THAT HELPED US GET THROUGH ANYTHING – GOOD OR BAD. WITH THAT IN MIND, WE DECIDED TO BURN THE MIDNIGHT OIL AND COMPLETE THESE NEW GHOSTS RECORDS AS A MEANS OF STAYING SOMEWHAT SANE.

GHOSTS V: TOGETHER IS FOR WHEN THINGS SEEM LIKE IT MIGHT ALL BE OKAY, AND GHOSTS VI: LOCUSTS... WELL, YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT.

IT MADE US FEEL BETTER TO MAKE THESE AND IT FEELS GOOD TO SHARE THEM. MUSIC HAS ALWAYS HAD A WAY OF MAKING US FEEL A LITTLE LESS ALONE IN THE WORLD... AND HOPEFULLY IT DOES FOR YOU, TOO. REMEMBER, EVERYONE IS IN THIS THING TOGETHER AND THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN SOON.
BE SMART AND SAFE AND TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER.

WITH LOVE,
TRENT & ATTICUS

HERE'S WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN RIGHT NOW:
FREE DOWNLOAD FROM US
YOUTUBE

ALBUMS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ALL STREAMING SERVICES TONIGHT

EDIT: This seems to be a collection of instrumental ambient tracks? Not bad, but not exactly what I would have expected. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Ad infinitum - See you in Hell
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU

Early Beatles on the YouTube rotation.  I've noticed that in every one of the lip sync videos they looked baked.  Everyone except Paul.

example

Just the studio lip syncs, not the on air

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2020, 11:00:14 PM

Early Beatles on the YouTube rotation.  I've noticed that in every one of the lip sync videos they looked baked.  Everyone except Paul.

example

Just the studio lip syncs, not the on air

They were popping pills in the early days.  Preludin. Paul took lower doses but he did use them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Uppers huh?  I guess that makes sense.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2020, 08:26:22 AM
Uppers huh?  I guess that makes sense.

Those Hamburg sessions were brutal and went into the deep into the early hours of the morning.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

David Murray, Special Quartet (1990)

The title explains it all - this session matches Murray and avant-gardist bassist Fred Hopkins with half the classic Coltrane Quartet (McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones). Post-Coltrane, Tyner didn't often record with front rank tenors (the first Blue Note album with Joe Henderson a big exception); he spent most the 80s and 90s in either trio or Big Band formats or various configurations with Bobby Hutcherson (vibes). Murray doesn't sound anything like Coltrane but he has a similar energy, spiritualism and urge to push boundaries.  Tyner lets Murray run unleashed on chaotic originals like Hope/Scope, providing a semblance of harmonic support, while asserting himself on some of the more conventional material.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Listening to a classical playlist all morning while working, and Rodrigo's Aranjuez has come up twice :wub:

I should listen to Isao Tomita's version in the afternoon.  :cool:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

The Delfonics - La La Means I Love You (1968)

In just a decade Philadelphia went from the Dell Vikings to the Delfonics; what other evidence do you need that the 60s were a disaster?   :(

;)

This is one of the first albums of what would become the Philadelphia Soul sound; complete with lush orchestrations (going so far as to include pizzicato strings on one track) and gorgeous harmonies.  Thom Bell (who would go on to work with The Spinners and The Stylistics) wrote a number of the tracks, including the title track.  On the other hand a lot of the album is still stuck in the mid-60s; with some tracks by Burt Bacharach, and covers of "Hurt So Bad" and  "A Lover's Concert" (hits for Little Anthony and the Imperials and The Toys, respectively.)

Edit:  You probably know the song "La-La Means I Love You" from Jackie Brown.  That and "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)" are both by the Delfonics (and both written by Thom Bell.)  Pam Grier plays one of those for Robert Forster; he get's their greatest hits and later get's the  :huh: look from Samuel L. Jackson when the other one plays on Forster's car radio. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

808 & Heartbreak.. pretty good stuff. Don't think I ever heard a full Kanye West album before.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Caught an advert on tv, one by Kaleidoscope for womens retro dresses, the music caught my attention as it was 'The Sun Rising' by the Beloved.

Then it dawned on me, music from one of my favourite albums was seriously retro and that it had come out over 30 years ago.  :bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

"Next up, some more classic rock from the 90s!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM