Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2020, 10:21:53 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 15, 2020, 09:40:01 AM
Bernard Minet - Metal Band

Metal covers by the original singer of many, not all, of cartoons/animes French intro themes.

Ça pourrait évoquer des souvenirs à Viper si Goldorak (nombreux génériques cela dit), les Chevaliers du Zodiaque, Capitaine Flam (pas la meilleure reprise cela dit), Ken le Survivant, Denver le dernier dinosaure lui parlent. ;)
Pas sûr que Bioman(sentait pas anime) ait atteint le Canada à l'époque en revanche.

[spoiler]Le tempo moyen/mid-tempo pour les Samouraïs de l'Éternel est pas mal du tout[/spoiler], surtout en concert.
[spoiler]La haie d'honneur de la mort/Wall of death en concert avant[/spoiler] Ken le Survivant (Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star) [spoiler]annoncé par Bernard Minet si on m'avait dit ça à l'époque...[/spoiler]
:cool:

What an excellent idea. Daque I shall have to check that out.

Thing is, this will mostly speak to Francophones who watched these cartoons/animes in their childhood or teenage years. I don't believe most or even more than a few made it to the UK or the US.
Captain Future did but often each country had its own intro theme. The German being special too, but totally different from the French or Japanese.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 15, 2020, 10:49:52 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2020, 10:21:53 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 15, 2020, 09:40:01 AM
Bernard Minet - Metal Band

Metal covers by the original singer of many, not all, of cartoons/animes French intro themes.

Ça pourrait évoquer des souvenirs à Viper si Goldorak (nombreux génériques cela dit), les Chevaliers du Zodiaque, Capitaine Flam (pas la meilleure reprise cela dit), Ken le Survivant, Denver le dernier dinosaure lui parlent. ;)
Pas sûr que Bioman(sentait pas anime) ait atteint le Canada à l'époque en revanche.

[spoiler]Le tempo moyen/mid-tempo pour les Samouraïs de l'Éternel est pas mal du tout[/spoiler], surtout en concert.
[spoiler]La haie d'honneur de la mort/Wall of death en concert avant[/spoiler] Ken le Survivant (Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star) [spoiler]annoncé par Bernard Minet si on m'avait dit ça à l'époque...[/spoiler]
:cool:

What an excellent idea. Daque I shall have to check that out.

Thing is, this will mostly speak to Francophones who watched these cartoons/animes in their childhood or teenage years. I don't believe most or even more than a few made it to the UK or the US.
Captain Future did but often each country had its own intro theme. The German being special too, but totally different from the French or Japanese.

OK, but still interesting.

The one I really remember from my childhood is Hector's house, with the dog and the frog(?), but that'll be a bit before your time.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Yet I remember Heckle and Jeckle.  :P Thanks to a late re-run in the '80s. Topic was discussed thanks to Miami Vice, somebody complained about obscure references such as the cartoon I mentioned.
Heckle and Jeckle was still re-run in the '80s for kids so I was skeptical.

Back to topic, here is a promo video for the metal cover of French anime themes : ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el4utAoDudk

PS: that's Saint Seiya (les Chevaliers du Zodiaque).

Savonarola

Scott Walker - Scott 2 (1968)

Walker's career went through a long evolution, from teenage heartthrob to avant-garde musician.  At this point in his career he wanted to be Jacques Brel... though I'm not really sure why.  :unsure:

;)

This is better than most MOR pop music from the era.  The Brel compositions as well as Walkers own are quite a bit edgier than what one would expect from, say Johnny Mathis or Andy Williams.  He isn't as smooth as those two either; his voice is more akin to Richard Harris or Tim Buckley (though he does have the wisdom to rein it in, sometimes.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (1968)

Why is there no Credible String Band?  :(

Even by the standards of 1968, this one is out there.  It's a mixture of Sitar music, Victorian era music hall songs, Brahmanic hymns, and Celtic renaissance festival music with lyrics about love, life, riddles, mitosis, mysticism and minotaurs.  They clearly were following their own vision; but somehow it all works together.

Mongers, is this one of your favorite albums?

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Chick Webb, Strictly Jive (1934-1939)

For some reason Hollywood never got around to the extraordinary story of Chick Webb and Ella Fitzgerald. Webb, the energetic drummer-leader of the hottest band in 1930s Harlem (saying a lot), his small stature the result of the spinal tuberculosis that eventually killed him in his 30s, formed a powerful human and artistic bond with Fitzgerald, a proverbial teenage ugly duckling fleeing an abusive stepfather and stints in reform school. By 1939, the dying Webb told bandmates "to take care of Ella."  Ella didn't need the help - when Webb died, she took over the band as leader and churned out hit after hit.

For those used to the late 50s/early 60s "song book" recordings, Ella's youthfulness is striking on these recordings, but the diamond perfect voice is still easily recognizable.  However, the strength of this collection are the instrumentals that reveal why the Webb band was so highly reputed. If lacking the compositional sophistication of Duke Ellington, the Webb band made up for it with their rhythmic energy and their depth of first rate soloists.  Webb's own skill as a drummer is clearly discernible in these good quality recordings (Decca) and you can hear why all contemporaries from Jo Jones to Gene Krupa held him in awe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land (1966)

First time I've heard this - not sure how it is possible I missed this given that it is a 60s era Blue Note production with the very top talent available - Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Reggie Workman, Grant Green, Billy Higgins and Morgan himself

Morgan cut his teeth in a few late 50s albums with Shorter before they both joined Art Blakey. Morgan soon acquired a heroin addiction and vanished for 2 years.  He remerged partially dried out in late 63 and recorded two sessions with Blue Note - the first in December and the second in February 1964.  The second one - which would become Search for the New Land -  is the more ambitious and (IMO) superior production.  However, the first one was released first and contained a first track called the "Sidewinder" that became an enormous hit, climbing high into the Billboard pop charts.  That one record would keep Blue Note alive for a few extra years, but would also prompt the label to focus on finding more catchy hits. The effect was to delay release of the Feb 64 session, which did not have any such obvious prospects, for more than 2 years.

That said - it's a very fine album if a bit unusual.  The first and title track runs nearly 16 minutes and is Morgan's mostly successful effort at doing his version of a John Coltrane composition, with Hancock taking on the McCoy Tyner role. "Mr. Kenyatta", on the other hand could easily fit into the oeuvre of the second Miles Davis quintet, two-fifths of which are present here. The remaining three tracks are more typical Morgan hard boppish offerings. The record also did pretty good commercially, if not anywhere near "Sidewinder" popularity, breaking into the Billboard 200.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

CANNIBAL CORPSE - Hammer Smashed Face (WAY TOO HAPPY COVER)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gjSOcSsms

:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2020, 02:23:17 AM
CANNIBAL CORPSE - Hammer Smashed Face (WAY TOO HAPPY COVER)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gjSOcSsms

:lmfao:

Somehow, this version is way more terrifying than the original.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

I saw the following headline:  Chess stars found dead, laughing gas suspected and thought, "Damn, those bluesmen were hard core up until the bitter end."  To my disappointment they had meant people who played chess; not artists featured on Chess records.  (There are still a handful of Chess recording artists left, though of course they're quite old.)

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 06, 2020, 04:08:20 PM
I saw the following headline:  Chess stars found dead, laughing gas suspected and thought, "Damn, those bluesmen were hard core up until the bitter end."  To my disappointment they had meant people who played chess; not artists featured on Chess records.  (There are still a handful of Chess recording artists left, though of course they're quite old.)

The notion that using nitrous oxide balloons to get high killed not one, but two people simultaneously ... well, it strains credulity.  :D

It is easy to die inhaling nitrous from a tank into a mask (just get the oxygen mix wrong and you die), but nearly impossible to do so inhaling nitrous from a balloon. That's a reason people use balloons for this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Maybe they were purposely dosed with a lethal amount? It is Russia...  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Alan Parsons Project...I robot
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"