Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:07:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 11:09:56 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 10:57:33 AM
King Crimson. Live in Mexico

Are you going to see them when they play here in Toronto?

Not this time. I saw them two years ago at Massey Hall, and that was fantastic. But they're playing the Budweiser stage this time around which is not as intimate. Are you going?

I am. I've never seen them live.

They're putting on an amazing show, with a great setlist that encompasses their entire spectrum so you won't be disappointed. Like I said i saw them recently with a similar setting at a smaller venue, so that' why I'm skipping it this time around.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:50:38 PM
They're putting on an amazing show, with a great setlist that encompasses their entire spectrum so you won't be disappointed. Like I said i saw them recently with a similar setting at a smaller venue, so that' why I'm skipping it this time around.

I'm looking forward to it.  :)

Another band I'm hoping to see live is Flogging Molly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

The Agonist - In Vertigo

Probably their best song so far. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Saw Flogging Molly last night at the Echo Beach stage - they played an incredible set. Some classics I never thought I'd hear live - Another Bag of Bricks, Saints and Sinners, Float; plus some off their recent album - like Crushed.

I was joking with my wife that maybe this time they would play Another Bag of Bricks; then they actually did. That alone made my night.

With some inadvertent pyrotechnics from the weather - as their set ended, lightning lit up the sky. Which was too bad as they were co-headlining with Social Distortion, which was cancelled due to weather.

I wasn't too upset - I got my money's worth and more already.

The obligatory cell phone photo:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Is the dude in the white's head as ginormous as it appears?

frunk

The Brain

The Brain

The Brain

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Malthus

Saw King Crimson live - it was great. Three drum sets, lots of improvisational jazz-like sets, plus of course the usuals like Court of the Crimson King and 21st Century ... .

Also played Discipline, one of my favorite pieces.

My wife did not go - she's not a fan.

It is interesting just how different the experience of the live music I've seen recently has been. All were great bands, but they could not be more different.

I saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and that show was like being initiated into some weird cross between rock and roll and a particularly sleazy yet effective evangelist preacher's cult; he kept inviting audience members onto the stage to feel him up, while singing about sin and regret. It was odd to say the least.

I saw Flogging Molly, and that was just pure energy - spent the entire show jumping up and down, left sweaty and sore but happy.

I was King Crimson, and they literally did not acknowledge that they were playing for an audience at all - to a degree that was amusing. Like, they were performing sound tests for their instruments and gradually they just started playing. The music was often like a soundtrack to an action movie filmed in an insane asylum - my one complaint is that I'm not musician enough to understand what they were doing. It often seemed that they were doing some musically very clever things, playing in different time signatures and stuff, but that went straight over my head - it's like watching people playing a particularly clever game of chess when you don't know the rules.

Savonarola

RIP Ric Ocasek; the first album I ever bought was "Heartbeat City."   :(

I didn't realize he was that old (75).  Paul McCartney is 77; I would have thought Ric was at least a decade younger, not two years.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock