News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I can't believe you're gendering people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2019, 04:23:48 AM
Like Hizaki of Versailles and Jupiter?

Oh, wait, that's a guy.

Versailles and Jupiter? Macron has to be involved, obviously.

Syt

Just blinked once, and suddenly another song is already over 25 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaXS4nAx0jU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Alison Wonderland introducing cello into EDM - brilliant.

Josephus

Haven't heard anything by her, but she's got an awesome name
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

My wife and I just saw an organ concert by Adam J. Brakel (the Franz Liszt of the organ, according to NPR.)  He was remarkably versatile playing everything from JS Bach to James P. Johnson.  At one point he played "Stars and Stripes Forever"; the gentleman sitting next to me was so moved that he played along by slapping his knees with his hands.  It was very Florida.  :Canuck:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Philip Glass Hymn to the Sun from Akhnaten

Akhnaten is sung in a recreation of ancient Egyptian, except for Hymn to the Sun; which Glass regarded as so important that it had to be sung in the vernacular of the place it's being performed and the follow up song Psalm 104 which is sung in Hebrew.  I think that would be funny to see in Israel and wonder why they were singing (almost) the same thing twice.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Josquin des Prez - Missa La Sol Fa Re Mi

The title comes from the phrase lascia fare mi (leave me alone.)  Josquin took that, transcribed it into musical notes and wrote a mass around it.  There was greater latitude for church music (in the Catholic Church) prior to the Council of Trent; sometimes even popular songs of the day were worked into masses.  Though this is the only one I know of with a punny title.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 10:57:33 AM
King Crimson. Live in Mexico

Are you going to see them when they play here in Toronto?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 11:09:56 AM

Not this time. I saw them two years ago at Massey Hall, and that was fantastic. But they're playing the Budweiser stage this time around which is not as intimate. Are you going?
Civis Romanus Sum

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:07:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 11:09:56 AM

Not this time. I saw them two years ago at Massey Hall, and that was fantastic. But they're playing the Budweiser stage this time around which is not as intimate. Are you going?

I am. I've never seen them live.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius