News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Jimmy & Wes, Dynamic Duo (1966)

Songs of Ice and Fire with cool Wes Montgomery on his Gibson electiric guitar and with Jimmy Smith on the Hammond organ bringing the heat. The core trio is rounded out by versatile drummer Grady Tate, perhaps best known for supplying vocals for Schoolhouse Rock.  About half the tracks put the soloists in a big band format with nice arrangements by Oliver Nelson of standards like "Night Train" and "Down By the Riverside", others have salsa pioneer Ray Barretto on conga.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings (1966): Quartet date with Herbie Hancock.  I associate Hutcherson more with McCoy Tyner than any other pianist, but Hancock is a good match for him - similar musical sensibilities and approach.  The other album they did together the following year - Oblique - is one of my favorites.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Jethro Tull - 'Minstrel in the Gallery' album  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

By the way, what the hell is 'Yacht Rock', never heard of this category before today.   :hmm:

Eddie Teach

You know, the kind of music you always hear on yachts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 06, 2019, 09:09:18 PM
You know, the kind of music you always hear on yachts.

Thanks, so that's why I've never heard of it.   :hmm:

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on June 06, 2019, 06:46:33 PM

For some reasn this album and warchild never clicked with me.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 07, 2019, 09:09:16 AM

Weird isn't it, Minstrel clicked for me first time I ever heard it. And it has gone stale no mater how often I listen to it.

Maybe I should give Warchild a go, as I'm similarly to you with it.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on June 07, 2019, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 07, 2019, 09:09:16 AM

Weird isn't it, Minstrel clicked for me first time I ever heard it. And it has gone stale no mater how often I listen to it.

Maybe I should give Warchild a go, as I'm similarly to you with it.

From that era, Stormwatch is my favourite
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Minstrel has always resonated with me - Side one especially.  Cold Wind to Valhalla after the opener is a magic combo.  In fact, all of side one hits it on the head for me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Rammstein - Deutschland

Gearing up for the concert at the end of June.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 08, 2019, 06:49:41 AM
Rammstein - Deutschland

Gearing up for the concert at the end of June.

:cool: Doubly so.

Josephus

ELP-Works Vol.1
King Crimson-Islands
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Yeah, in a proggy mood :)
Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2019, 07:06:33 PM
ELP-Works Vol.1
King Crimson-Islands
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Yeah, in a proggy mood :)

:cool:

That's could be the prog Trifecta*.   :D

* nod to Yi.