And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 21, 2018, 04:54:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2018, 08:49:33 PM
ZZ Top's 'Rio Grande Mud' album, so good I'm listening to it straight away.

Be sure to listen to Ministry's tribute to this album, called Rio Grande Blood.  :D

:cool:

Thanks for the tip, Duque
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_f16t1JGHo

The We Five, You Were On My Mind

This popped up on my youtube feed.  I'm totally obsessed with this song now.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2018, 03:39:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_f16t1JGHo

The We Five, You Were On My Mind

This popped up on my youtube feed.  I'm totally obsessed with this song now.

Used to be a staple of the oldies stations I listened to.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The original, 1963, Ian and Sylvia.  Pure folk, kinda downbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-g203otiYU

Different video of the We Five version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7QHWJOzbE

Not only is it an incredibly catchy folk/pop song, I love it as a cultural artifact.  Part of the electrification of folk and the transition to pop/rock. In this video the lead is a kinda dumpy looking girl with a great alto voice.  Compare her look with the first video I linked.  Professional makeup, professional hair, professional outfit.  Dumpy to hottie just through production values.  The backers haven't figured out how to play air guitar convincingly in the black and white.  It's like the real life That Thing You Do.  I love the fact that an ubernerd could play rhythm guitar on a hit song in the 60s.

mongers

Elton John –  Pinball Wizard
Thin Lizzy – Whisky In The Jar
Toto – Hold The Line
Mott The Hoople – All The Young Dudes
Meat Loaf – Deadringer For Love
Lynyrd Skynyrd –     Freebird
Free – Wishing Well
Moody Blues, The – Nights In White Satin
Ike & Tina Turner – Nutbush City Limits
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel – Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
Santana – Black Magic Woman
John Miles – Music

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on September 24, 2018, 07:38:32 PM
Nice playlist

I have to admit not mine, it was an old compilation cassette I had for years as a teenagers.

So on finding it a while back I made up an MP3 album or folder to recreate the sensation of listening to it.  :)

Syt

I checked out Metal Hammer's top 3 albums of 2017 since I'm a bit out of the loop these days. :D

1. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
Quite all right, but I have to be in the right mindset for their progressive style, and yesterday was not such a day.

2. Myrkur - Mareridt
A Danish death metal band with, unusually, female vocals. (Wikipedia says it's her project) Just beautiful.

3. Code Orange - Forever
Loved the dirty, aggressive sound of the album. Not fond of them cutting the sound in the middle of the playtime of a song, in the middle of a chord before going on with something else. When streaming that mostly has me checking if Spotify crashed or my connection went down. Heck, the last track ends mid-word. :P

Also, you know how sometimes you used to love a song to death and when you go back to it after year it's not as good as you remembered?

Fortunately that's not the case for Nocte Obducta's Und Pan Spielt die Flöte - if you're in the mind for an epic 15 minute composition, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lb4jxEowH0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2018, 01:33:52 AM
Not fond of them cutting the sound in the middle of the playtime of a song, in the middle of a chord before going on with something else. When streaming that mostly has me checking if Spotify crashed or my connection went down. Heck, the last track ends mid-word. :P

EDGY

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2018, 04:31:49 AM
Not fond of them cutting the sound in the middle of the playtime of a song, in the middle of a chord before going on with something else. When streaming that mostly has me checking if Spotify crashed or my connection went down. Heck, the last track ends mid-word. :P

EDGY

Well, judge for yourself - they were nominated for a Grammy for their song Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9JVxQVQy4 (which doesn't really pull the "let's pause a few seconds" thing). I actually like their sound, reminds me a bit of the 90s.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Also, you know how sometimes you used to love a song to death and when you go back to it after year it's not as good as you remembered?

Yes, in recent years though it hasn't happened as much. I guess my taste in music has improved and stabilized somewhat since my youth.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Dunno, why, but this parody song reminds me of Admiral Yi: Wheeler Walker, Jr - Puss in Boots

https://vimeo.com/214063099

Must be the language.

NSFW (features topless women and sexually explicit lyrics)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Bobby Hutcherson, Montara (1975)

World's greatest vibes player leads mini Latin big band.  Very 70s album although mostly in a good way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

Our national music icon Kim Larsen died today, I don't think there's anything Danes from any age group can agree more on than him being the best there has ever been in Danish pop rock.

Gasolin - Det bedste til mig og mine venner

RIP :cry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk