And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee
The Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Cardi B feat. Kehlani - Ring
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Liep

Friendly Fires - Love Like Waves
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend

The Brain

Mary J. Blige - Family Affair

garbon

The Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends
Duran Duran - Come Undone

The Minsky Moment

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring (1962) and Destination . . . Out! (1963)

McLean was the leading alto saxophone player after Charlie Parker's death up until Ornette Coleman's emergence around 1959/60.  McLean could have reacted resentfully and retreated into his hard bop style.  Instead he started incorporating aspects of Coleman's free style quite explicitly in his own work as these album titles indicate (complete with Ornette-style ending exclamation mark in Destination Out).  In the first he even employed Coleman's occasional drummer Billy Higgins.  In the second, Bobby Hutcherson joins in, just prior to his "Out to Lunch" session with Eric Dolphy.  Destination Out in particular is a perfect ensemble effort - McLean is the clear leader of the session, trombonist Grachan Moncur III contributed 3 of the 4 compositions, Hutcherson takes effective responsibility for the time, freeing up drummer Roy Haynes.  These albums capture the experimental spirit of the "free" players, but are more approachable and easier to listen to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

The Damned - Smash It Up, parts 1&2
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on April 08, 2018, 08:32:27 AM
ELP. Live in Italy (1973)

:cool:

Fripp and Eno - 'Evening Star' - never heard this album before.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Blue Öyster Cult - Take Me Away
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on April 28, 2018, 07:05:56 PM
Blue Öyster Cult - Take Me Away

Need to listen to more BOC, it never did anyone any harm.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Fleetwood Mac - Seven Wonders