Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2018, 08:10:17 AM
Pink Floyd. Live at Pompeii

Nice choice.  :cool:

DVD or Audio, directors original version or edited out?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2018, 08:15:41 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2018, 08:10:17 AM
Pink Floyd. Live at Pompeii

Nice choice.  :cool:

DVD or Audio, directors original version or edited out?

Yeah it's an audio cd from the very expensive box set put out last year...just the music.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

So no sexy shirtless David Gilmore.  :(

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2018, 06:53:24 AM
So no sexy shirtless David Gilmore.  :(

Gilmour.

And no, but I do have that on blu-ray
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Garbage - Shut Your Mouth
Rilo Kiley - Science Vs. Romance
Regina Spektor - The Call

In a 90s mood this year, I've tickets Garbage and also to see Alanis Morissette.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Grant Green - Idle Moments (1963) - a pretty typical recording session pairing Green on guitar with the house rhythm section of Blue Note Records, Joe Henderson on tenor and Bobby Hutcherson on vibes took an unexpected turn when the musicians misread the charts on the title track and all took double length solos, resulting in a relaxed yet intense groove.  Widely regarded as a classic.  be sure to listen to the alternate takes of the other tracks - they are actually the originals but had to be re-recorded to fit on an LP.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Whiplash was the first time I had heard the word "chart" used in reference to music.

Is it just a snobby jazz way of saying sheet music, or is there more to it?

The Minsky Moment

My understanding as a non-musician: sheet music usually refers to a note by note recitation of what each musician is supposed to play.  But in jazz the expectation is that a lot of the playing is improvised - so the "chart" will usually set forth the basic chord structure and time, and maybe an opening theme but it won't specify what everyone plays note by note.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

BTW I liked Whiplash as a movie (great Simmons) but the musical aspects were a bit silly.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

When I was performing I never heard the term chart, but I only had an entry level experience with jazz improv.  At that time (~25 years ago) I did hear the terms Head or Fake Book.

The Minsky Moment

A head arrangement I've seen usually refer to a piece built around a set of riffs, a repeating theme or vamp, as with the Count Basie band.
Never heard of a fake book.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Sorry to pick on you Joan, but going back to Whiplash, that super special Nazi jazz band was not an improv band, but they still called them charts.

frunk

It's probably referring to Chord Charts, which are usually but not strictly used for improv.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2018, 01:15:23 PM
Sorry to pick on you Joan, but going back to Whiplash, that super special Nazi jazz band was not an improv band, but they still called them charts.

I wouldn't necessarily rely on that film for musical information.  It's supposed to be a Julliard or Berklee kind of program but the writer/director's experiences came from being in a high school band and that is really the model of this.  I don't think Berklee teaches aspiring jazz drummers to do ostentatious Gene Krupa-style solos, that went out with the swing era.  Hank Levy (who wrote the real-life Whiplash composition) was university-affiliated, but it's kind of a gimmick song, using a weird time signature.  it doesn't get played a lot in clubs . . .
--Joan Robinson