News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Nicole Wray feat. Missy Elliott - Make It Hot
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on February 21, 2018, 11:39:14 AM
Quote from: Josephus on February 21, 2018, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
On the way home I picked up a cd of the 'Hounds of Love' in a thrift shop, hope it's not an omen? :unsure:

Oddly I didn't have a copy of this previously, just the vinyl. :gasp:

the pink vinyl version?

No, I think I've probably got a european or american version from that year, didn't know the uk one was pink or was that only a special edition?

I think early pressings were pink. Mine is Canadian.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on February 21, 2018, 11:19:47 PM
Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy

Damn you, no I'm going to have to listen to that.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Dunno what album it's from, but listening to Ed's favorite BOC song.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Something a bit different for me: Nightwish: Century Child
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Love - Forever Changes (1967)

Arthur Lee:  Do you know what would make for a groovy song name, man? "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale."
Bryan MacLean:  Woah, future legend, man

(The Whiskey-A-Go-Go, where Love got their start, is on the Sunset Strip between Clark and Hilldale.  No idea about the rest of it.)

Even going through albums as I am it's easy to forget there's a lot more to 60s music than just R&B, rock and psychedelia.  Herb Albert charted regularly in the era.  Love obviously took a lot of inspiration from him for this album and melded it with psychedelia.  The result, though, is far from being Sgt. Peppers Tijuana Brass Club Band.  While the songs are filled with gorgeous harmonies and intricate orchestrations; they grow progressively darker as the album moves on.  A lot of critics see this as foreseeing the counter-culture unraveling in the following years.  I think it's more based on Love, and Arthur Lee unraveling.  Even so, for the one last moment that they could keep it together, Love was able to turn out something amazing.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

PDH

The Damned's cover of Alone Again Or first introduced me to Love.  It reminds me of growing up in the late 60s in Monterey, Ca.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 22, 2018, 08:43:07 PM
The Damned's cover of Alone Again Or first introduced me to Love.  It reminds me of growing up in the late 60s in Monterey, Ca.

You're old
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Cream - Disraeli :bowler: Gears (2017)

Allegedly a malapropism by one of their roadies who meant "Derailleur gears."  Quentin Tarantino said he got "Reservoir Dogs" from one of his customers after recommending "Au Revoir les Enfants."  Philip Glass got "Monsters of Grace" from a friend who garbled Hamlets "Angels and ministers of grace defend us."  Anyone know any others?

In any event this is the Cream album; so much better than "Fresh Cream."  The blues takes a backseat to the psychedelia and experimentation.  Jack Bruce's vocals are improved, and Clapton sings lead or in harmony in a number of places.  Some of their best songs are on this one; (Strange Brew, Sunshine of your Love, Dance the Night Away, SWLABR and (my personal favorite Cream track) Tales of Brave Ulysses), even the other songs are all  good.  (I'm not a big fan of "Mother's Lament," but that might not have been intended to be entirely serious.)

The album is definitely from 1967; the cover alone makes that obvious:

It's like I can taste the colors
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Love - Da Capo (1966)

After listening to "Forever Changes" I decided to give this one a go.  The first side is widely eclectic (opening with, of all things, a proto-punk song played on a harpsichord, "Stephanie Knows Who"), and containing Love's sole hit "Seven and Seven is."  You can sort of see what's coming next on a couple songs, notably "She Comes in Colors," but the next album could just have as easily been a jazz-rock fusion or a proto-punk album.

The second side is a long, pointless jam, "Revelation."  I'm not a fan of jam bands, and the track isn't very good.

The Minsky Moment

Various Wes Montgomery tracks, no particular order.  Good for a crappy Sunday day.  The stuff with Wynton Kelly's trio is my favorite.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Years & Years - Desire

last.fm says that in the last 30 days my top 5 artists have been

Janet Jackson
Beyonce
Mariah Carey
Rihanna
Madonna

:blush:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?