News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on February 13, 2018, 09:36:30 AM
The first side is the title track; for which the album is remembered (fairly.)  The second side is also very good; the only downside is it has the original version of The Motorcycle Song.  It's not bad, but the live version is so much better.

I remember getting this album in college and, yeah, the album version of the Motorcycle Song doesn't live up to the live one.  It was a frequent problem for folkier acts of the 60s, very easy for them to be overproduced.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on February 12, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
(Okay, I realize I'm going to sound like those people on the YouTube comment section of FourFiveSeconds who congratulated Kanye on finding this hot new bassist, Paul McCartney, to play on his song, but)

WTF is "Kanye"

Real question is: did Paul use the Rickenbacker or Hofner?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Nico – Chelsea Girl (1967)

I think I saw a movie about the making of this album last year.  It starred Meryl Streep as Nico, but for some reason it was called "Florence Foster Jenkins"  :unsure:.

:P

A lot of critics like this; I'll admit I don't get the appeal.  After leaving the Velvet Underground, Nico was a chanteuse in New York's coffee house scene.  This album is from that period, with songs written mostly by Lou Reed, John Cale and a then unknown Jackson Browne.  Reed, Cale, Browne and Sterling Morrison all play on the album; but the instrumentation is more subdued on this than on a VU album.  The result is as if the VU had written songs for a tone deaf torch singer... :unsure:... no, wait, that's what it actually is.  Like I said, I don't get it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on February 13, 2018, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 13, 2018, 09:36:30 AM
The first side is the title track; for which the album is remembered (fairly.)  The second side is also very good; the only downside is it has the original version of The Motorcycle Song.  It's not bad, but the live version is so much better.

I remember getting this album in college and, yeah, the album version of the Motorcycle Song doesn't live up to the live one.  It was a frequent problem for folkier acts of the 60s, very easy for them to be overproduced.

Plus he gets to tell his story (the significance of the pickle) on the live version.  Storytelling is where Arlo really shines through.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 13, 2018, 01:29:06 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 12, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
(Okay, I realize I'm going to sound like those people on the YouTube comment section of FourFiveSeconds who congratulated Kanye on finding this hot new bassist, Paul McCartney, to play on his song, but)

WTF is "Kanye"

Real question is: did Paul use the Rickenbacker or Hofner?

I see from Wikipedia Paul played the acoustic guitar on the song someone else did the bass.  (I also see there are 9 songwriters credited.)

Admiral Yi

Just heard on NPR that Red Bone, the band that brought us "Come and Get Your Love," was Native American.

The Minsky Moment

Dave Holland - Prime Directive (1999)

The English jazz bassist Dave Holland, not the English rock drummer for Judas Priest.  Holland (bassist) cut his teeth working for Miles Davis during his early electric period, on such classic albums as Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way.  A couple decades later he emerged as one of the more creative band leaders in his own right.  This is one of his stronger efforts, for the ECM label.  Somewhat unconventional lineup with vibes/miramba and Robin Eubanks (brother of Kevin) on trombone; also the fiery Chris Potter on saxophone.  Holland plays around with time signatures and shifting rhythms, and acquired a subtle sense of space from his Miles Davis days, but he also knows how to ground his collaborations with a funky bassline.  This session was followed by a string of strong albums I collected back in Oughts (when people still bought CDs) Not For Nothin and Extended Play: Live at Birdland using mostly the same lineup, and then some big band dates like Overtime.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

On the way home I picked up a cd of the 'Hounds of Love' in a thrift shop, hope it's not an omen? :unsure:

Oddly I didn't have a copy of this previously, just the vinyl. :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Vinyl, are you a hipster or something?  :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 20, 2018, 04:37:12 PM
Vinyl, are you a hipster or something?  :rolleyes:

Original issue.  :contract:

Bought my first turntable 33 years ago.  :)

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
On the way home I picked up a cd of the 'Hounds of Love' in a thrift shop, hope it's not an omen? :unsure:

the pink vinyl version?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I'm giving that album a listen the way God intended, streamed over the internet.  :)

Savonarola

The Doors - Strange Days (1967)

Mostly the leftover tracks from The Doors; even so, there are some great songs on this as well: Moonlight Drive, Strange Days, People are Strange and Love Me Two Times.  The final track "When the Music's Over" sounds like they were trying to remake "The End," it's just not that good.  Otherwise it's good overall; a decent follow up to "The Doors" especially considering they were both released the same year.

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 21, 2018, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2018, 02:54:18 PM

the pink vinyl version?

No, I think I've probably got a european or american version from that year, didn't know the uk one was pink or was that only a special edition?