News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The naughties are represented by Black Eyed Peas and One Republic on 12 and 35. Not really a beacon of light either. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

The ed Sheeran song is the one he keeps saying "I love your body".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 14, 2018, 07:11:24 PM
The ed Sheeran song is the one he keeps saying "I love your body".

Doesn't really help. I'll have to help him move towards #1 and youtube it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I'm honestly surprised that I had never heard that song before, I just assumed it was the one where he was dancing in the video. Seems kinda boring. :mellow:

Savonarola

Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim – Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim (1967)

The Bossa Nova craze still had legs in 1967; and Frank decided to get in on it with one of the leading Bossa Nova players, Jobim.  This is the one with Sinatra's famous recording of "Girl from Ipanema" on it.  It's a good album overall, Frank sounds more subdued than usual, something that works well here, as it did on "In the Wee Small Hours."  There are three standards done in a Bossa Nova style on this, "Baubles Bangles and Beads," "I Concentrate on You," and "Change Partners."  The rest are Bossa Nova compositions.  The band sounds pretty laid back throughout; maybe it's too easy listening, but at this point in Frank's career the days of the bobbysoxers had long past.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2018, 07:16:33 PM
I'm honestly surprised that I had never heard that song before, I just assumed it was the one where he was dancing in the video. Seems kinda boring. :mellow:

I'm surprised it's that big of a hit.  It's not really catchy or for a worthy cause like many of the other songs on the list.  It is a love song, of sorts, but the sentiment is not exactly "I will always love you."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Tony Allen - A Tribute to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (2017)

Legendary Nigerian drummer and Afrobeat pioneer Allen covers four classic Messengers tunes in a mini-album format, 30 minutes.  Definitely worth a listen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

The Prodigy- Smack My Bitch Up

jimmy olsen

Just listened to a really breathy jazz version of Seven Nation Army

HOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6HY8r983c
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2018, 06:51:28 PM
Just listened to a really breathy jazz version of Seven Nation Army

HOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6HY8r983c

Been going through all their songs on Youtube. They're fucking amazing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I'm amazed you're just now discovering them.  :P

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Thelonious Monk, Les Liaisons Dangereuses (1960)

Recordings Monk did for a movie soundtrack, lost decades ago but then master tapes discovered a couple years ago.  This is peak Monk, just before his Columbia records period, although the band is transitional.  Not as definitive as the also lost and found "Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane" and not the best intro to Monk, but worth the listen from hard core Monk fans.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 17, 2018, 09:02:15 PM
I'm amazed you're just now discovering them.  :P

Me too, no idea how I missed them all these years.

1 Karma Chameleon point