Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on September 15, 2017, 09:52:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2017, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 15, 2017, 06:28:34 AM
Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

Which recording?

The one where he's drunk out of his mind and ends up just hurling abuse on the crowd after being triggered by some heckler.

Well that explains his 'to all my haters' concerto in D minor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Screaming Females - Rose Mountain
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2017, 10:23:14 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 15, 2017, 09:52:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2017, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 15, 2017, 06:28:34 AM
Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

Which recording?

The one where he's drunk out of his mind and ends up just hurling abuse on the crowd after being triggered by some heckler.

Well that explains his 'to all my haters' concerto in D minor.

Johann Sebastian was the Taylor of his day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Smashing Pumpkins- Zero

Might as well start cutting myself.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' (1958)

In mainstream modern jazz, the piano player "comps" - plays chords corresponding to the harmonic structure of the song - while the horn players solo.  The key is rhythm and timing - playing in such a way to give drive and tension.  Seems simple but hard to get it right.  Sonny Clark was a master at it, and it made him in very high demand as a sideman.  So no surprise when he took a date as a leader, he could get the best.  The rest of Miles Davis' rhythm section is here - Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones - and they play the shit out of the session.  Jackie McLean on tenor and Art Farmer on trumpet.

Sadly Clark would be dead a few years later, in his early 30s.  Mr. P.C. died not that long afterward. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Yesterday- Nevermind and Superunknown
Now- The Downward Spiral

Eddie Teach

Turandot by Puccini. Several other names mentioned, I caught Pavarotti and London Philharmonic.

The Minsky Moment

Ahmad Jamal - At the Pershing (1958)

Jamal got criticized by some at the time as being a glorified cocktail pianist, but Miles Davis praised him highly . . . Miles was right. In the usual trio, time is marked out by a walking bass, and the drummer, freeing the pianist to play melody and solo.  In Jamal's group everyone marks time and no one does.  The rhythm shifts a lot in these tunes, and Vernel Fournier on drums often plays rhythmic counterpoint to Jamal.  Meanwhile Israel Crosby plays bass in walking style but does not always mark out a strict 4-4; he plays a kind of quieter and more subtle version of what Scott LeFaro would do with Bill Evans a couple years later.

I believe this was the first recording of "Poinciana" which hit the mainstream Billboard charts and stayed on for several years.

Jamal is his mid-80s now - and has released several albums over the last decade or so, he's been doing some of his best work since the 1980s.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The Cure - A Letter To Elise
Simply Red - Holding Back The Years
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition

While I do like Ravel's orchestrations, I prefer the Promenades and The Great Gate of Kiev in the original.  In those pieces I think understatement worked better.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Holst - The Planets

I learned that this began life a work for two pianos (but was arranged for full orchestration before the original premiers.)  I also learned that, even though the movements were premiered; Holst hated it when people played the planets out of the order that he wrote them (often orchestras will end with Jupiter rather than Neptune.)

I prefer the orchestrated version of this one, but the piano pieces aren't bad; except Mars, that really doesn't work that way.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Bob Dylan - Tomorrow is a Long Time

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Bill Withers - Take It All In And Check It All Out