News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba (1960)

Appalling  :mad:  every single one of these songs is a rip off of something in "The Lion King."  She goes so far as to totally rip off "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."   :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

The only time I had heard her before was in the movie "Soul Power" (documentary about the concert that was supposed to accompany the Rumble in the Jungle) in which she sings The Click Song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Far East Movement- Like a G6
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Ray Price - Night Life (1961) :alberta:

A truly wonderful album about drinking, fighting, going to concerts, one night stands and regretting all of it.  The title track is written by the guitarist; "A young songwriter from Texas" named Willie Nelson :alberta:.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

An unusual coincidence: in less than an hour my Pandora shuffle played Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Marooned, and Hey You.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2017, 08:21:29 AM
An unusual coincidence: in less than an hour my Pandora shuffle played Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Marooned, and Hey You.

Nice
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Complete Blue Note Sessions - Horace Parlan

Horace Parlan suffered from polio as a child, as a result he lost the ability to use two middle fingers on his right hand.  So of course he became a professional piano player . . .

Parlan developed a bluesy, rhythmic and parsimonious style,  similar to Horace Silver but more percussive (and with shades of Monk's harmonics).  He made a name playing on a couple high profile Mingus albums, most notably Mingus Ah Um.  He and Mingus often switched roles, Mingus playing melodic lines on bass over Parlan's rhythmic vamps.    Parlan parlayed that gig intomultiple recording sessions as leader for Blue Note records, which popularized the hard bop and soul jazz sound in the late 50s and early 60s.

Lots of good stuff of this collection, which is streamable for now on the big services.  My favorites are a trio session with Ray Baretto added on congas (Headin' South, Low Down, Congalegre) and "Up and Down" a quintet session with fellow Mingus alum Booker Ervin (Fugee).  Also some notable appearances by Blue Note regular Stanley Turrentine.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2017, 10:28:23 AM
Complete Blue Note Sessions - Horace Parlan

Horace Parlan suffered from polio as a child, as a result he lost the ability to use two middle fingers on his right hand.  So of course he became a professional piano player . . .

I learned from The Reverend Billy Wurlitzer that The Step (the transition between Barrel House and Ragtime) was developed in logging camps because it was a style of music that could be played by people missing fingers.  (Like many other things, that's a fact I'd hate to ruin by research.)

Savonarola

Modern Sounds in Country and Western :alberta: - Ray Charles  :cool:

While certainly not the first fusion of R&B and Country, (:elvis:), this is still a great album.  Ray makes each of the songs sound like they really could have been written as R&B numbers.

Savonarola

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)

Light years ahead of his first album (Bob Dylan), this contains some of his best songs (Blowin' in the Wind, Girl from the North Country, Masters of War, A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall, and Don't Think Twice, It's All Right.)  Political, sentimental, funny, romantic, sometimes all in the same song, Bob Dylan was already a complete artist at 21 (and would spend the rest of his life trying to live up to that reputation).  The only downside to the album is that he's still trying to sound like Woody Guthrie; he's the only person whose singing has improved by trying to sound like Bob Dylan.

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2017, 04:21:24 PM
The only downside to the album is that he's still trying to sound like Woody Guthrie; he's the only person whose singing has improved by trying to sound like Bob Dylan.

Every once in a while I try to to listen to some part of Bob Dylan's catalogue, but I have a tough time getting through more than an album at a time.  Probably the artist with the biggest disparity in talent between singer and songwriter.  Maybe Leonard Cohen was close, but I think he understood the limitations of his voice better and made it work for him.

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on July 20, 2017, 04:32:48 PM
Every once in a while I try to to listen to some part of Bob Dylan's catalogue, but I have a tough time getting through more than an album at a time.  Probably the artist with the biggest disparity in talent between singer and songwriter.  Maybe Leonard Cohen was close, but I think he understood the limitations of his voice better and made it work for him.

Check out Bertolt Brecht singing Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (Mack the Knife.) 

;)

David Crosby said that he couldn't stand Dylan's voice and didn't get why the rest of the band was so eager to record "Mr. Tambourine Man" the first several times he heard it.  I thought that was funny with the number of hits The Byrds had with Dylan's songs.  Personally I don't mind his voice once he went electric (Bringing It All Back Home), prior to that, though, (and especially on the first two albums) he can sound like he's trying a little too hard to be Woody Guthrie.

Savonarola

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963

Released in 1985, Sam's vocals are surprisingly rough; not Otis Redding rough, but much rougher than the singles.  The music is a lot more prominent on this as well, with the occasional solo or sax break.  I can hear how Rod Stewart got his inspiration for his cover of "Having a Party" on this. 

This is a really good live album; Sam's charisma shines through and it really sounds like the audience is really having a good time on this.

Josephus

Totally digging prog king Steven Wilson's reinvention as a pop 70s king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gryiltJo0&t=90s

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011